Beautiful Academy Award-winning actress Angelina Jolie has over a dozen tattoos. Most of her tattoos contain meaningful words and phrases in a variety of different languages, reflecting her world travels. Here's the lowdown on Angelina Jolie's tattoos and what they mean:
- "Know Your Rights" Jolie has this phrase tattooed in Gothic lettering between her shoulder blades.
- Buddhist incantation On her left shoulder blade, Jolie a passage tattooed in Khmer, the language of Cambodia. It translates to English as: "May your enemies run far away from you; if you acquire riches, may they remain yours always. Your beauty will be that of Apsara; wherever you may go, many will attend, serve and protect you, surrounding you on all sides." She got this tattoo when she adopted her son, Maddox, from Cambodia.
- Determination This tattooed phrase appears on Jolie's right arm in Arabic. It covers up a matching tattoo she once had with ex-husband Billy Bob Thornton.
- "13 May 1940" Jolie has this date tattooed in Roman numerals under her left arm. Its significance? The day Winston Churchill gave one of his most famous speeches.
- "A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages" This quote is from a Tennessee Williams play. Jolie has this tattooed on her left arm, one of her few English-language tattoos.
- "Quod me nutrit me destruit" with a cross This Latin phrase means "What nourishes me, destroys me." Jolie has it tattooed along with a bold black cross on her hip.
- The letter "H" This letter is tattooed in rune-style script on Jolie's left wrist. Rumor has it that it represents her brother, James Haven, or actor Timothy Hutton, with whom she once had a relationship.
- Geographic coordinates On her back, Jolie has the latitude and longitude numbers of the birthplaces of four of her six children, three of whom are adopted, tattooed.
- Bengal tiger This very large tattoo appears on Angelina's lower back. She had it done in Bangkok in 2004 to celebrate her Cambodian citizenship.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.