Beautiful Academy Award-winning actress Angelina Jolie has over a dozen tattoos. Most of her tattoos contain meaningful words and phrases in a variety of different languages, reflecting her world travels. Here's the lowdown on Angelina Jolie's tattoos and what they mean:
- "Know Your Rights" Jolie has this phrase tattooed in Gothic lettering between her shoulder blades.
- Buddhist incantation On her left shoulder blade, Jolie a passage tattooed in Khmer, the language of Cambodia. It translates to English as: "May your enemies run far away from you; if you acquire riches, may they remain yours always. Your beauty will be that of Apsara; wherever you may go, many will attend, serve and protect you, surrounding you on all sides." She got this tattoo when she adopted her son, Maddox, from Cambodia.
- Determination This tattooed phrase appears on Jolie's right arm in Arabic. It covers up a matching tattoo she once had with ex-husband Billy Bob Thornton.
- "13 May 1940" Jolie has this date tattooed in Roman numerals under her left arm. Its significance? The day Winston Churchill gave one of his most famous speeches.
- "A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages" This quote is from a Tennessee Williams play. Jolie has this tattooed on her left arm, one of her few English-language tattoos.
- "Quod me nutrit me destruit" with a cross This Latin phrase means "What nourishes me, destroys me." Jolie has it tattooed along with a bold black cross on her hip.
- The letter "H" This letter is tattooed in rune-style script on Jolie's left wrist. Rumor has it that it represents her brother, James Haven, or actor Timothy Hutton, with whom she once had a relationship.
- Geographic coordinates On her back, Jolie has the latitude and longitude numbers of the birthplaces of four of her six children, three of whom are adopted, tattooed.
- Bengal tiger This very large tattoo appears on Angelina's lower back. She had it done in Bangkok in 2004 to celebrate her Cambodian citizenship.