Antifreeze Poisoning In Dogs
Most people are worried about their dogs ingesting chocolate, but antifreeze poisoning in dogs is one of the most common forms of poisoning. Antifreeze poisoning is so very common simply because most people keep antifreeze either in their homes or their cars. The chances that a dog can get it's furry little paws on antifreeze and poison itself is quite high. Also, dogs don't need much antifreeze to make them sick. It's up to you to be mindful of the surroundings you create for your dog. You need to be just as aware of antifreeze poisoning as you do of any other harmful element that may potentially harm your dog.
The component in antifreeze that is most harmful to your dog is the toxin ethylene glycol. The taste of this toxin is not repulsive to your dog. And, because of ethylene glycol's ability to intoxicate your animal rather quickly, a dog can consume a large quantity of antifreeze before it feels sick or repulsed by the taste. The problem is, a dog doesn't usually need much antifreeze in it's system to be poisoned. Three ounces of antifreeze is enough to cause a fatal antifreeze poisoning in a medium sized mutt. Just three ounces, and that's all she wrote. As prolific as a dog's licking ability can be, sucking down three ounces of antifreeze can be done in a matter of seconds.
Antifreeze poisoning in dogs effects the brain, liver, and kidneys. The symptoms are not unlike the ones humans exhibit when they down too much alcohol. Your dog will appear drunk. It's movements will be uncoordinated and shaky. Your dog may seem depressed, urinate frequently, have a rapid heart rate, develop diarrhea, or even fall into a coma.
Immediate first aid is to,if your dog hasn't already,get it to vomit. Then, you need to get it to a doctor immediately. Unfortunately, kidney failure is most likely the outcome, if your dog survives the initial antifreeze poisoning. So, save yourself the trouble and heartache, make sure your buddy can't get to the antifreeze.