An anxiety medications list includes drugs that inhibit, manage, improve and also create major side effects for many people who rely on this category of drugs. Short-term, long-term, sporadic and intermittent, the pharma world has the perfect anxiety medication for your condition. The National Institute of Mental Health provides a list of anxiety disorders that may require meds. Patients with post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and anyone with a social phobia might require their medical provider to whip out the anxiety medications list for a selection.
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors That's a mouthful for anyone, even folks in the medical profession, so this group of anxiety medications is also known as SSRis. This part of the anxiety medications list is grouped in a special category labeled "anti-anxiety." The inhibit part of this drug lets you know that the drug stops chemical messages from zipping around your body.
- Serotonin-Norpinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors (aka SNRis) for pharmacopeia-impaired readers. The drug works by stopping the chemical messengers from chatting up the brain cells to get them on edge. The formal name of the messengers is the neurotransmitters, according to the folks at the Mayo Clinic. No chat, no anxiety. It's as simple as that. The names the drugs include duloxetine, brand name Cymbalta; venlafaxine, which you may know this as Effexor; and desvenlafaxine, drugstore name Pristiq.
- Benzodiazepines Clonazepam, Lorazepam and Alprazolam are all in this category of anxiety medications, known as the anti group. Not to be outsold at the drug counter and to help folks who really need the drugs when the other formulations don't work, Buspirone is also in this general category on the anxiety medications list. These drugs work by making the transmitters sleepy and dopey. Pretty soon they forget about notifying any part of the body about anything.
- Beta Blockers This is a term used for drugs that help a variety of other conditions. Like many drugs, as the pharma companies keep testing the medications, they find they work for any number of conditions and aliments. Got heart disease? Take a beta blocker. Got anxiety? Pony on up to the beta blocker anxiety medications that include the brand names propanerol and inderol. Blockers do the same process as the inhibitors; they block normal body chemical reactions.
- Antidepressants Certainly the easiest of the anxiety medications list to pronounce, antidepressant drugs are used to deal with anxiety. While most regular folks have a hard time figuring how people who have anxiety are also depressed, seemingly opposite condition, the category of antidepressant drugs is also used to treat people who have anxiety problems. Another example of the pharma industry and the medical field testing drugs to see what might happen for other conditions, illnesses and diseases.
- How many years will it before doctors prescribe a glass of water for anxiety? Prozac, a popular antidepressant drug, was found in UK drinking water by the Drinking Water Inspectorate, the officials in charge of water safety. The inspectors speculated that the drug got there through treated sewage and people dumping drugs down sinks and toilets. The amount of the drug in the water is unknown and the risks to human health are also unknown. If you feel a normal case of anxiety, just turn on the tap and down a glass of tap water. Cheers!
- Never self medicate for anxiety. You may want to get several professional opinions before you decide to take medications for anxiety since there are serious consequences for use.
- According to Mayo Clinic, side effects of anxiety medications include dry mouth and constipation on the annoying side and tremors, erectile dysfunction, heart palpitations on the way, way scary side. All of these side effects cause more anxiety or so says Mayo Clinic.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...
16 Fall Style Classics Every Man Should Own
Give layering season an upgrade with these updated standards.
How to End Awkward Handshakes
A short illustrated history of when to use what.