Apple Dumplings Recipe
If you are looking for something warm and sweet to take the edge off of a cold winter’s day, all you need is a good apple dumplings recipe and a few kitchen ingredients. While you can make apple dumplings with store-bought dough, I think you’ll find that making your own is a simple process, and tastes so much better in the end. This apple dumplings recipe also calls for boiled apple cider, to really give the apple dumplings a strong apple taste. If you don’t have access to boiled cider, you can boil your own cider down, just remember to keep stirring the pot at the end, so the cider doesn’t burn onto your pan.
Things You'll Need for the Dough:
- 2 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon sugar
- 10 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 8 Tablespoons ice water
Things You'll Need for the Filling and Sauce:
- 6 medium or small apples, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1.4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup boiled apple cider
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Combine the flour and the salt for the apple dumpling dough. Add in the shortening and mix well.
- Cut the butter into very small cubes. If needed, freeze the butter for a few minutes to harden it up. Add the butter to the mixture.
- Slowly add the ice water. Continue to add the water until the mixture holds together in a ball.
- Place the ball of apple dumpling dough into the fridge for at least half an hour.
- Turn your over on and set it to 375 degrees.
- Place the water, 1 1/4 cup of sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg into a pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then remove it from the heat.
- Add the vanilla, lemon juice and boiled cider to the apple dumpling sauce.
- Take the apple dumpling dough out of the fridge. Roll the dough out and cut it into six inch squares.
- Place one apple's worth of diced apples onto the middle of a dough square. Sprinkle it with powered sugar and add a pat of butter, if you desire. Then pull up the sides of the dough and press them together over the apple, using a little bit of water to force it to hold together.
- Place the apple dumpling into a baking dish. Repeat the process for the other five apple dumplings.
- Pour your sauce over the apple dumplings. Save some sauce if you are going to eat the dumplings immediately after baking them.
- Bake the apple dumplings for 35 to 45 minutes.