The 44th President of the United States may have had to prove to some people that he was born in the USA, but these Barack Obama quotes show that he never has to prove he has guts. In fact, you might even call Obama the "honey badger" president.
- "Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." For all their optimism and exuberance, some pinwheel-eyed Obama supporters believed the "yes we can" candidate could – and would – end war and poverty overnight. In a twist on Gandhi's admonition to "be the change you wish to see in the world," this Barack Obama quote reminds his fans to get off their duffs – because there is no "I" in "Yes we can." If you think that doesn't take guts, you have never seen a crowd of rabid fans drunk on hope and hungry for change, but the honey badger doesn't care if he hurts their feelings; he's too busy getting down to business.
- “My administration is the only thing between you and the pitchforks.” Every time your bank slaps you with a new fee, you cringe remembering how the CEO took a fat bailout with your tax money – and apparently wants a second one from you. Maybe you haven't actually walked into the teller lobby packing a pitchfork and demanding a meeting with the manager, but you sure have wondered about other people line sometimes. In this quote spoken to bank CEOs, Barack Obama claws like the honey badger into the beehive, caring not one lick if he gets stung as he tells it straight: people are sick of plunking their paychecks into the bank, only to see a big chunk of change disappear to feed a fat piggy.
- "Cutting the deficit by gutting our investments in innovation and education is like lightening an overloaded airplane by removing its engine. It may make you feel like you're flying high at first, but it won't take long before you feel the impact." The honey badger doesn't care if it gets bitten; it gets back up and continues on its single-minded mission: lunch. Likewise, you can't stop Barack Obama with a few nasty names; he just dusts himself off and keeps fighting for his causes. Call him a socialist; it won't get you anywhere, because the honey badger president has his eyes on the prize.
- "Now, this issue has been going on for two, two and a half years now. I think it started during the campaign. And I have to say that over the last two and a half years I have watched with bemusement, I've been puzzled at the degree to which this thing just kept on going." You have to feel for the birthers; President Obama not only produced a birth certificate, but he made them all look like fools in the process, smirking like the honey badger as he presented his papers on national television. But don't feel too bad for them; after all, that thing could be a fake. It would only take a conspiracy from Obama's parents, hospital administrators, the state of Hawaii and the newspaper that published Obama's birth announcement.
- "The cause of securing our country is not complete. But tonight, we are once again reminded that America can do whatever we set our mind to. That is the story of our history, whether it’s the pursuit of prosperity for our people, or the struggle for equality for all our citizens; our commitment to stand up for our values abroad, and our sacrifices to make the world a safer place." Look, President Obama gave the orders for the Navy Seal mission that killed Osama Bin Laden, making this the most awesome Obama quote of all. Of course, the birthers probably want to see the corpse, but Barack Obama, like the honey badger, doesn't care.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Speakeasy: Jonathan Banks
The Emmy-nominated Breaking Bad star talks Beverly Hills Cop, Wiseguy, sitcom work and his new flick with Danny Trejo, Bullet. Oh yeah, a few Mike Ehrma …