Basic Rope Climbing Equipment
Need a list of the basic rope climbing equipment? Rope climbing is used in a sport in which people climb up a suspended vertical rope using their hands, and sometimes feet. Basic rope climbing equipment should be of the highest quality, because substandard equipment can claim lives.
- The most essential thing in rope climbing equipment is a rope, which tolerates the whole weight of the body. It is necessary to buy the correct rope as rope climbing equipment. A very famous piece of rope climbing equipment is webbing. It is a kind of rope, which is made by wrapping a very strong fabric around a flat strip or tube. This tube can be of various diameters. Fibers are often used in place of ropes.
- The second most important rope climbing equipment is carabineer, used to connect ropes. A carabineer is a loop, made of strong metal. These are sprung or screwed on straps gated oppositely to the spine. These are the basic component of the safety enhancing equipment.
- Rope climbing equipment called harness is used to support carabiners. Harness is a strap jacket with a loop that gives support to carabiners.
- A belay/rappel device is used to balance the body. It is made up of a rope that is wrapped around the waist. This is then clipped secure, after passing through a carabineer on the harness.
- To provide friction for better handgrip a chalk bag is used. Some climbers have excessive sweating problem, which increases their difficulty to climb up the rope. To avoid this climbers use powdered chalk. The climber can easily put his hand inside the chalk bag to dust his hands with chalk.
- To provide better foothold specifically designed rock climbing shoes are used. These help in maintaining grip. Snug sneakers can also be used for beginners.
- Extra items need to be carried including extra rope and climbing equipment. For this purpose a duffel bag is used. This is usually made of parachute fabric, which is strong and light in weight.
- To protect the head from skull injury, a helmet is used. Climbing can often cause small stones to slide, wearing head protection prevents injuries.