Many people think they can swim to save themselves in a dangerous situation, but unless they are using basic swimming techniques, their swimming may not be adequate. Learning basic swimming techniques is the only way to truly be safe around water. People who do not know basic swimming techniques will tire quickly and are more susceptible to drowning in dangerous situations. Basic swimming techniques teach swimmers to use the most efficient stroke possible. This article will cover two basic swimming techniques and one survival technique.
- Dead man's float. Of all the basic swimming techniques this is the most basic for survival. Float face down. Yes, face down. Roll your head to breathe every twenty or so seconds. Conserve energy. Move only to stay afloat.
- Elementary backstroke. Elementary backstroke is the most basic swimming technique in the world. For this stroke, simply float on your back, kick your legs like a frog and propel your body with your arms. For your arms, use the “chicken, airplane, soldier technique." That is, bring your arms to your armpits like a chicken, extend like an airplane, and stoke down to your hips like a soldier.
- Basic freestyle. Put your head in the water. This is one of the most basic swimming techniques for freestyle. Don’t lift your head out of the water to take a breath. Keep your face in the water and then roll your head to breathe. Lifting the head will cause the body to sink, increasing drag and leading to fatigue.
- Keep your feet up. Kick to keep your feet afloat. For a proper basic swimming technique you must keep your body parallel to the surface. You cannot be parallel unless your feet are level with your head. An essential basic swimming technique is to keep the body streamlined and reduce drag. Keeping your feet afloat with proper kicking achieves both.
- Don’t slap the water. This is inefficient. Rather than slapping the water, reach far in front of your body and pull your arm along your side towards your legs. Repeat this motion as smoothly as possible. Try to pull as much water as possible.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.