Bass Fishing Bait
Bass fishing bait comes in all shapes and sizes. The type of bait you will use will depend on the type of bass you are fishing and how you are going to be doing the fishing. Bass can be fished from the shore of a lake or river, from the beach or from a dock. You can also fly fish for bass if you are up for the challenge.
- Grubs. Grubs are good bait that can be used for smallmouth bass. Even though they are tiny lures, grubs are very useful when fishing for large fish. It is best to use them as fishing bait in clear water.
- Tube jigs. When you are bass fishing in clear water when the fish are inactive, a tube jig is a good choice. Use it as a drop bait, which is better for when the water is less than ten feet deep.
- Plastic worms. These are some of the best bait you can use when you are fishing for bass. With their lifelike action, plastic worms can be extremely effective. Keep in mind that you will need some fishing skills to make this work.
- Topwater baits. If you are going to choose topwater bait such as a topper or jerkbaits, you will need to be fishing in cool water. If the water is over 55 degrees, this type of bait should be your first choice. They also work best in the early morning and in the evening.
- Live bait. Live bait is also very effective when bass fishing. The best choices are shad and shiners. Make sure you handle them as little as possible so the fish doesn't smell a difference.
- Flies. Fly fishing is also a fun way to catch bass. For the most part, you will need to use your bigger flies to catch these big fish. You can try some smaller flies to entice them, but if you really want to reel them in you will need the biggest ones you have. Deer hair is a good material to use for these big flies since it is better for making big flies and can be trimmed in any way that fits your needs.