Become A Kickboxing Instructor
To become a kickboxing instructor, you need to know as much as you possibly can about the sport. Ideally, you should also be a kickboxer yourself and have impressive skill levels. Then, you can learn the fundamentals about being a good instructor and put them into practice with your kickboxing students.
- Take some kickboxing courses. This will help you learn the fundamentals of kickboxing so you can teach it yourself. It will also give you the opportunity to watch how the kickboxing instructor leads the class and interacts with the students. You can take courses at local gyms, health clubs or fitness centers. There are also kickboxing schools in some areas.
- Talk with the kickboxing instructor. After class, have a conversation with the instructor. Ask about his career path and what made him want to become a kickboxing instructor. If you take a few different classes, you’ll be able to talk with additional instructors and learn more about becoming a kickboxing instructor yourself.
- Get certified. Once you learn about kickboxing and can practice the sport yourself, you need to get certified as an instructor. Reputable organizations, such as the American Fitness Professionals & Associates, offer a kickboxing instructor certification course. Once you complete the course, you will receive certification to work as a professional kickboxing instructor. The course will also teach you more advanced kickboxing techniques, as well as how to teach them to a class.
- Practice teaching. Before you apply to be a professional kickboxing instructor, practice the teaching skills you’ve learned. Offer to teach some of your friends and family members the basics of kickboxing. After a few informal classes, ask for feedback. You can also volunteer to be an instructor at a local community center or youth club.
- Apply for professional positions. Once you gain knowledge, skills, experience and certification, you can apply for professional kickboxing instructor jobs. Check with local kickboxing schools, gyms and health clubs, as well as fitness centers such as the YMCA. Community colleges, women’s groups or community centers might also be looking to staff part-time or full-time kickboxing instructors.