Are you looking for an easy, delicious beer can chicken recipe? Beer can chicken recipes are most popular during grilling season—but, the tender, juicy chicken can also be prepared during winter months in a standard kitchen oven with the same technique.
Ingredients Needed to Prepare a Beer Can Chicken:
- Whole Roasting Chicken, 3-5 Pounds
- Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- ¼ c. Cajun Spice mixture, or less if desired
- 1 12 oz. Can of beer, (or canned root beer or ginger ale, if desired)
- Shallow Baking Pan (if oven roasting)
- Beer Can/Soda Can Chicken Rack (if desired)
Instructions for Making Beer Can Chicken:
- Preheat oven or grill. Preheat indoor oven to 375°F or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.
- Prepare the chicken for roasting. Remove any giblets from the rear cavity of the chicken. Wash the outside of the chicken thoroughly and pat dry.
- Season the chicken. Gently slide hand between the chicken’s skin and the meaty portion—without removing the skin. Once the skin is loosened, rub the butter liberally beneath the skin. Rub the Cajun spice mixture all over beneath the skin, reserving two teaspoons of spice to add to the beer or soda can.
- Prepare the pan and the can. Spray the grill or oven pan liberally with cooking spray—as well as the outside of the beer or soda can. If you are using a holding rack for the chicken, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for assembly and preparation. Open the can, and pour out 1/3 of the liquid into a bowl to use for basting and add half the reserved spices to the can and half to the basting liquid.
- Place the chicken onto the opened can. Insert the beer or soda can into the rear cavity of the chicken or place chicken onto can holding rack. The roasting chicken should balance over the can on its legs.
- Rub the chicken with oil. Lightly rub the outer skin of the chicken with olive oil.
- Roast until chicken is cooked thoroughly. Roast the chicken, basting lightly with reserved beer and spices every twenty to thirty minutes. The beer can chicken is cooked when the temperature reaches 180 degrees internally. A three to five pound roasting chicken requires about an hour and a half in the oven or over a medium grill.
- Let the roasted chicken rest. Let the roasted chicken rest for about fifteen minutes to allow the juices to settle.
- Remove the chicken from the can and serve. Carefully remove the roasted chicken from the beer or soda can. The can will be hot, so use oven mitts and tongs for removal. Carve and serve as desired.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.