With so much rock and roll history to choose from selecting the best bands of all time is no easy task. Anyone who’s been around to hear these bands live, or enjoy them on the radio, knows how powerful their music is. Anyone that hasn’t heard these bands before will be blown away by the quality of the music.
- Led Zeppelin. Hard Rock, bluesy, psychedelic and sexy are all words used to describe this legendary band. The accidental death of drummer John Bonham left the band shocked and reeling without their original member. As one of the best bands of all time their songs live in memory and can be hard in regular radio rotation.
- Nirvana. Though their run was short and sweet the angst-filled music from one of the best bands of all time fueled the nineties generation. Lead singer Kurt Cobain’s death was tragic and immortalized him alongside the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin. The demise of the band also gave rise to ex-drummer Dane Grohl’s own band, The Foo Fighters.
- The Rolling Stones. Beginning in 1961 the Stones seem to be immortal; just the kind of reputation a rock band needs. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are icons, the songs are classic and the Stones are clearly one of the best bands of all time.
- Rush. Known to be the one of the best touring bands ever, this group has released an album a year ever since their first one. In addition, they also sport the man generally considered to be the best percussionist in the rock music game in Neil Peart. Their music and lyrics can be an acquired taste, but for those that enjoy this flavor, it never disappoints.
- The Beatles. Even if you don’t know any Beatles songs, odds are that you’ve heard one and liked it without even knowing whom it was by. These guys set off the British Invasion in the 1960’s American music scene and went on to become worldwide superstars and one of the best bands of all time. Their music is so big Michael Jackson bought their catalogue before he died so he could make money off them.
- Journey. One of the biggest bands of the early 80’s, they had their origin in the 70’s when ex-members of Santana decided to form their own band. The band didn’t’ achieve superstar status until the arrival of lead singer Steve Perry in the late 70’s. Known primarily for their pop-laced ballads, this is one of the most popular bands in American history.
- Fleetwood Mac. Another band born out of the British blues influenced era of the late 60’s, they have powered their way through various incarnations ever since. The group’s most prosperous years on the American charts were aided by the vocals of Christine McVie, and especially Stevie Nicks. Known as much for their free spirited ways and complicated, in-band romantic entanglements, they represented the free spirit of the 70’s with great music and style.
- The Doors. The group defined an era of experimentation, free love and sensory explosion. The “Doors” blew open the “doors of perception,” regarding what was considered recordable. Jim Morrison’s lyrics lead the way and Krieger’s composition created the perfect soundscape, ripe for the times. Though short lived, their legacy is one of the longest in rock music and helps to make them one of the best bands of all time.
- Eagles. This blend of country/pop/rock defined the sound of the 70’s. Their first greatest hits album was one of the best selling albums of all time and many would consider them among the best bands of all time.
- Pink Floyd. This group is one of the forerunners of progressive rock, of which groups like Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky have carried the mantle proudly. Their trippy, acid-influenced sound is timeless.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
What Makes Men Attractive to Women
What women want—confidence, a sense of humor and abs.