The best Clint Eastwood western movies are actually some of the best westerns ever made. In terms of mood, they run the gamut from somber to comical, and some showcase Eastwood as a traditional hero, while others make him into more of a reformed outlaw. Eastwood has a special knack for playing western heroes. He looks the part, and he has the perfect voice for playing tough-guys.
- “Unforgiven” is the strongest film among the Clint Eastwood western movies. Eastwood also directed this film about a former outlaw trying to make some money working for a prostitute who was assaulted. It’s dark, gritty and one of the best westerns of all time.
- “A Fistfull of Dollars” is the first of the Clint Eastwood western movies directed by Sergio Leone. It’s also one of the first so-called “spaghetti” westerns. Eastwood plays a mysterious tough guy who gets in the middle of a feud in a small western town.
- “High Plains Drifter” is one of the most unusual Clint Eastwood western movies. It’s about a stranger who hires on to protect a town from some outlaws. It ends up being a very mysterious movie with some unexpected elements.
- “For a Few Dollars More” is the second Sergio Leone movie starring Clint Eastwood. Here, he plays a bounty hunter on the hunt for an outlaw.
- “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly” is the third of the Clint Eastwood western movies directed by Sergio Leone. It’s about a search for hidden gold by three rivals.
- “The Outlaw Josey Wales” is one of the darker Clint Eastwood western movies. This one is about a farmer who joins the confederate army as an act of revenge against the Union army after his family is slaughtered, and eventually becomes an outlaw after the war is over.
- “Pale Rider” is about a minster with a mysterious past who ends up being a hero to a small town. In many ways, this could almost be seen as a sequel to “High Plains Drifter”.
- “Two Mules for Sister Sara” is a nice change of pace among the Clint Eastwood western movies. It’s about a gunfighter and all-around tough guy who befriends a nun on a mission.
- “Hang em High” isn’t the best of the Clint Eastwood western movies, but it’s pretty solid. It’s about a man on a quest of revenge against those who tried to hang him.
- “Paint Your Wagon” has a very different tone than other Clint Eastwood western movies. This movie is actually a musical comedy set in old west times, and it’s quite amusing.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Americans have always been obsessed with the idea of the Old West. Rife with myth, it’s ...
Go ahead—it's okay.
As dedicated movie buffs, our friends at ScreenJunkies.com tend to notice the little things in films that most of miss. ...