Want to learn about the best DJ equipment for beginners?
Who doesn’t wanna be a DJ? Music, women, booze. Three things that make up life. But where to start? Well, one way to go about it is a thing called controllers. If Girl Talk taught us anything, it’s that you don’t need tables anymore to be cool. One way to go about is controllers. A controller is an all-in-one piece of hardware that you can spin and cut on all night. They usually have two ‘mini tables’ and a bunch of knobs and buttons to let you cut your shit up right. Most times they are available with software such as Serato. Here are some great starter controllers:
- Vestax VCI-100 ($499). This bad boy is not only pretty looking, but makes some sick sounds. It’s pretty much the staple for beginner controllers.
- Cortex DMIX-600 ($499). This bad boy lets you plug your iPod directly into it and cut up your music from there.
- Hercules DJ Control ($129). If you’re looking for a lower price point, this guy is where it’s at. It has most of the same features as the Vestax (but slightly lower quality).
Now if you’re looking to go old school and actually get some tables (you’ll also need a mixer), here are some great packages that you can get started with:
- Numark iBattlePack Vinyl and iPod DJ Package ($399). Two direct drive (spin continually) tables, a solid 2-channel mixer, and a pair of headphones- all made by Numark. Can’t beat that price.
- American Audio CDI 300 ($699). Another package deal, geared towards the mobile DJ. With this bad boy you can use CDs to spin your music–a plus for anyone looking to be laptop independent.
- Numark DJ in a Box ($299). Very similar package to the iBattlePack, except the tables are a model lower. Get your hands on both of them and see if it’s worth the extra hundred.
Overall, if you want to get into DJing, just do it. Buy some equipment, get some time in, and learn the art. There's not really any DJ classes, so ask around and see if there are any local DJ’s willing to give you some pointers. If you’re an introvert, there’s thousands of instructionals and manuals online for you to checkout.
Good luck, and make some noise!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.