Best Films Ever Made
Of all the movies that have been made throughout the 20th and 21st Centuries, the top 10 truly stand head as the best films ever made. These films, ranging from fantasy films to gritty realistic dramas, represent the best of what has been accomplished using a camera and the human creative spirit.
- "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" This film, the crowning jewel in Peter Jackson's blockbuster trilogy, is not just a fine example of the fantasy film genre, it's an outstanding example of what can happen when a talented filmmaker is given the resources he needs to create genuine masterpiece and the cast needed to produce extraordinarily human characters.
- "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" This film, the first feature-length animated feature released by Disney, set the stage for an entertainment powerhouse. It has had an enormous influence on popular culture and the type of animation that it made famous has continued to remain a presence in the world of popular culture, for all of the attempts to get rid of it.
- "The Wizard of Oz" This classic manages to bring together all of the elements that go into a great film, great music, great actors, and great writing. Blend it together into a film that is timeless and endearing. There's a reason that it's managed to be broadcast in some form or another ever since its original release. Some movies never fade away.
- "Gone with the Wind" Although many might disagree with its presentation of the pre-Civil War South, this film is nevertheless a cinematic masterpiece for a number of reasons. The romance between the two classic characters of Rhett Butler and Scarlett O'Hara is one of the most famous in any medium, and this film does their love justice, while setting it against the brutal backdrop of a War that would leave a country changed forever.
- "Sunset Boulevard" This film has been commented upon and analyzed almost constantly since its release. Telling the story of a faded silent movie actress and her doomed romance with a failed writer, it's a truly wrenching story of the power of love and the power of ambition, and the dreadful consequences that occur when those two things come together.
- "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi" Although it was the last installment of the original trilogy, it managed to bring to fruition a powerful story and combine it with truly excellent filmmaking. It contains some of the most memorable moments in scene history, including the dark scene in which Anakin Skywalker sacrifices his own life in order to save that of his son, and to regain his lost humanity.
- "The Lion King" This film, commonly seen as the apex of the Disney Renaissance, is truly a marvel of traditional animation. With its lustrous animation, its outstanding musical score, and a story that is as old as Shakespeare (the film is a retelling of the story of Hamlet, using animals instead of people,) this venerable film deserves a place on this list.
- "Interview with the Vampire" Based on Anne Rice's bestselling novel of the same name, this film tells the story of the tormented vampire Louis and his desperate search for meaning in his life. It is true to Rice's story, and even captures some of the gothic luster that is such a hallmark of her writing. The performances by the stars, Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, are great successes.
- "Brokeback Mountain" The tale of two men who fall in love with one another, this film has all of the hallmarks of a truly moving love story, including a painfully tragic ending. The performances by the two main stars are some of the best that you will ever see, and they truly bring the power and poignancy of this sad story to vibrant life.
- "Beauty and the Beast" Produced in the early 1990's, this Disney film was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar, and its music has come to be recognized as some of the best ever produced for a film. It's a touching and romantic tale that is usually considered best for children. Even adults, however, can take pleasure in the lush colors and fluid movement in this animated masterpiece.