Homemade hamburger condiments are both easy and cheap to make. It’s easy to find recipes for classic homemade hamburger condiments like ketchup and mustard. We’d like to show you how to make two more off-beat homemade hamburger condiments: mayonnaise and sautéed onions. Try these two delicious condiments yourself:
1 pint vegetable oil
3 pasturized egg yolks (always use pasteurized egg yolks for safety purposes)
1-2 Tbsps white vinegar (to taste)
3 tsp lemon juice
1/2 -1 tsp salt (to taste)
1. Bring all ingredients to room temperature.
2. Using a whisk or an electric mixer, beat the yolks for 2 minutes. Add 2 1/2 teaspoons of vinegar to the yolks, and beat again. Add the salt, and beat again for up to one minute.
3. Begin to beat in the oil, adding the oil to the mixture very slowly. Add only a small amount of oil at a time and beat vigorously as the oil mixes into the yolk mixture. If you add the oil too quickly, you will separate the emulsion and ruin the mayonnaise.
4. As the mayonnaise thickens, add a small amount of vinegar, up to 1 teaspoon at a time, to thin the mixture, then continue adding oil. Add vinegar and oil alternately to thicken and thin the mixture to the desired consistency. When finished, add the lemon juice to taste.
5. It is best to serve the homemade mayonnaise right away, but it can be stored in the refrigerator for one day after it is made.
1 onion, thinly sliced
1. To make sautéed onions to use as a homemade hamburger condiment, simply melt a couple of pats of butter over low to medium heat in a skillet.
2. Add one thinly sliced onion and saute until the onions are nicely caramelized.
3. Serve immediately, while the sautéed onions are still hot. These sautéed onions are especially nice when added on top of a couple of slices of cheddar. The warm onions melt into the cheese, creating a gooey combination of cheddar and caramelized onions that makes this homemade hamburger condiment hard to beat.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …