Looking for the best hushpuppy recipe? This one is tasty and easy to change up to suit your taste. These hushpuppies are on the sweet side, so feel free to reduce the sugar a bit if that's your preference. If you like things a little spicy, add some diced jalepeno peppers to the batter, or some corn kernels for additional texture. Make a test batch the first time, and then get creative. If the batter seems too runny, add a small amount of flour or cornmeal. Too dry? Add a little milk to the hushpuppy batter.
To make the best hushpuppies, you need:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 quart oil for frying
Steps to make the best hushpuppies:
- Heat 2 inches of cooking oil to 365 degrees F in a dutch oven or fry cooker. Measure the temperature for accuracy using a candy thermometer clipped to the side of the pan.
- Beat the two eggs in a medium bowl. Dice the onion and add to the eggs.
- Mix in the sugar. Blend in the self-rising flour and the self-rising cornmeal.
- Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls in the hot oil, and fry until golden brown, turning to cook evenly. A small, spring-loaded cookie scoop is helpful in measuring out batter,
- Cook hushpuppies in small batches to maintain oil temperature. After cooking, drain the hushpuppies briefly on paper towels. Serve the hushpuppies hot.
Serve with homemade tartar sauce. These are great as a side dish for seafood.