Today much of the Indian street food in New York has moved inside, however, you can still enjoy the Best Indian Street Food in NYC whether you are eating in or grabbing something while trying to get from one point to the next. Often Indian street food is flat bread stuffed with meats, vegetables and cheese. Meats are seasoned with Indian spices for flavor. Chicken, lamb, beef or potatoes are often the fillings offered in fried doughs or tortilla type breads. There are many different types of Indian street food to choose from. The best Indian street food in New York is varied and delicious.
Below is a list of some of the Best Indian Street Food in New York City.
- Crispy fried stuffed pastries shaped like a purse are often stuffed with potatoes, chickpeas, and vegetables. They are served with tamarind and yogurt sauce to dip them in. It is an easy to eat street food called phadi chat. Another street food is wheat chips and rice tossed with lime, onions, mango and chutney. These can be served in many different combinations with other vegetables.
- Kathi or Katti Rolls are made of assorted meats, chicken, lamb, and vegetables served in Indian flat bread with chutney and different Indian seasoning. It is an easy to eat food that can be enjoyed on the go.
- Bhelpuri is a mixture of puffed rice mixed with onions, tomatoes, potatoes, cilantro,and other spices. Sometimes this is made using round wheat crackers and chickpeas. It is served on a plate or put in a container to go. Often the yogurt and tamarind sauce give it a smooth tangy flavor.
- Pan Puri or fried dough shells are stuffed with potatoes, chili, tamarind sauce, and spices. They are made in many different ways and combinations. Some use different vegetable, rice, beans and spiced water.
- Dosas are stuffed lentil flour based pancakes, very similar to Mexican tortillas, with different type of rice,beans, tomatoes, chutney and Indian spices added. Different combinations give them unique flavors.
- Pork, lamb or beef kebobs grilled with assorted vegetables marinated in garlic, chiles, and ginger is another popular fast Indian street food. It is served on wood skewers meant to be eaten hot and quickly.
- Potato cakes often served with tamrind sauce and mint chutney are another popular Indian street food in NYC. Chapps are potato patties dipped in flour then deep fried. Often this is served with sliced red beets and onions.
- Sandwiches made with fried portabella mushrooms sauteed in garlic and wine or roasted eggplant with apple chutney and cumin seeds are popular sandwiches.
- Fritters with vegetables fried in chickpea batter is a very popular and one of the best Indian street foods in NYC. The vegetables used include eggplant, mushrooms, onions, peppers and chiles.
Remember, the best Indian street food in NYC involves some common ingredients. Often the dish has potatoes, fried dough, beans, chickpeas, onions, tomatoes, or mango. Often the spices used are cumin, dried chiles, ginger, black pepper, lemon juice, mint and corriander. Street food is often served stuffed in fried dough or on Indian tortilla type breads or flatbreads with vegetables, meats and seasoned sauces. The meats most used are lamb, beef, chicken and pork.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!