Best John Wayne Western Movies
The best John Wayne western movies are all true classics. Wayne was a huge movie star in his time, and these westerns do a good job of showing his talents. He was able to seem tough and heroic but simultaneously very real and unpolished. This combination of traits served him particularly well as a star of western movies.
- “The Searchers” is the best of the John Wayne western movies. It’s about a man’s quest to find his niece who was kidnapped by a Native American raiding party. Wayne’s character is complex because he is villainous but simultaneously heroic.
- “Red River” is one of the most epic John Wayne western movies. Wayne plays a cattle rancher, and the movie is about an eventful cattle drive.
- “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance” is one of the most disturbing John Wayne western movies. Wayne plays a rough character who helps another guy by murdering somebody but never takes credit for it.
- “The Shootist” was Wayne’s last movie and it deals with the end of the western mythical era. It’s about an old master gunfighter with an incredible reputation facing his last battle.
- “Rio Bravo” is one of the most entertaining John Wayne western movies. It’s about a sheriff and his close comrades preparing for an assault by an outlaw gang.
- “Fort Apache” is one of the few John Wayne western movies where he isn’t actually the main character. Henry Fonda plays the central character in this story about a general who underestimates the Apache Indians and pays the price for it.
- “True Grit” is one of the more popular John Wayne westerns. He plays a lawman with a vile reputation who helps a girl search for her father’s murderer.
- “3 Godfathers” is one of the John Wayne western movies with a lot of heart. It’s about three outlaws who try to keep a baby alive in the desert after its mother dies.
- “Rio Grande” is not as well known as some other John Wayne western movies. It’s about Cavalry officer, and it has a lot of romantic elements.
- "Stagecoach" is one of the western movies that made John Wayne famous. This movie showcases Wayne as a hero with some tendencies towards being an outlaw aboard a stagecoach with a bunch of strangers. Everybody has a secret past, and they all come together in a way that leads to an action packed conclusion.