Best Meatloaf Recipe
Meatloaf, when it's made well, is a wonderful main course at your dinner table. But it's just as wonderful the next day piled between to slices of bread. The secret to creating a great meatloaf is what you put into it. Here is the best meatloaf recipe.
You will need:
- 1/2 lb. of ground round or chuck
- 1/2 lb. of ground pork sausage
- 1 Cup of rolled oats or breadcrumbs (you can buy a package of breadcrumbs like Pepperidge Farm Seasoned and they work really well)
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Small onion or half of a medium onion (preferrably yellow) finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup ea. green, yellow, and red pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp. Garlic, minced
- 1/4 Tsp. Thyme, dried
- 4 Tbsp. Ketchup
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- Optional: 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x5 in. loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet.
- Add the onions, peppers and garlic. Saute for approximately 5 minutes, until the onions start to turn slightly yellow. Add the mushrooms. Heat, stirring constantly, for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground meat, rolled oats or breadcrumbs, ketchup, eggs, salt, pepper, thyme, parmesan cheese, and the contents of the saute pan (peppers, onions, garlic.) Use your hands to knead the meat mixture. Blend well.
- Place the meat mixture in the loaf pan, forming into a loaf with your hands. Place pan in the oven and bake until the meat pulls from the sides of the pan and is firm to the touch. Approximately 60-75 minutes.
- If you choose, you can add ketchup or additional parmesan to the top in the last 5-7 minutes of baking. If you have a meat thermometer, the temp should read 160 degrees.
- Let the meat loaf stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve with homemade mashed potatoes and you will surely think of childhood days and your momma's cooking. Enjoy!