When looking for a scenic place to get some exercise in the Big Easy, it helps to know the best New Orleans running routes. Enjoy jogging down oak tree-lined paths in picturesque parks. Or, opt for a long run down the Mississippi River.
- City Park’s Arboretum Trail is known for being one of the best New Orleans running routes. This two and a half mile trail winds through beautiful Couturie Forest. Enjoy bird watching as you jog down Arboretum Trail. When you are finished enjoy a picnic lunch under a shady oak tree. City Park, 1 Palm Drive, New Orleans, Louisiana 70124.
- Deep-rooted history makes Audubon Park one of the best New Orleans running routes. Created to celebrate the World Cotton Centennial in 1884, Audubon Park is the home of the Audubon Zoo and Audubon Gulf Course. Located in uptown New Orleans, this park boasts a near two mile path. Stop for a quick stretch at one of the seventeen exercise stations along the course. Audubon Park, New Orleans, Louisiana 70118.
- When training for a marathon, the Mississippi River levee provides the perfect path. This path is one of the best New Orleans running routes for long distance running due to its 90 mile length. You will be jogging on the top of the levee, so remember to wear sunscreen. Begin at Audubon Park and wind along River road until your jog is complete. The path eventually ends in Baton Rouge. To access the path, either park at Audubon Zoo and follow the two way path up to the levee, or park somewhere along River road and begin your route.
- When looking for a grass path to run on, try jogging down the street car tracks on historic St. Charles Avenue. Enjoy beautiful architecture as you pass through the New Orleans Garden District. Be cautious of approaching street cars by running on the left side of the tracks. This will enable you to see oncoming cars.
- Woldenberg Park, home to French Quarter Fest, has one of the best New Orleans running routes. Situated near the Aquarium of the Americas, this park features artwork by many local artists. Located along the Mississippi River, runners can view the hustle of port activity.
- Similar to running along the river, there are excellent paths along Lake Pontchartrain. One simple route is to park at the University of New Orleans and run along Lakeshore Drive heading west. Turn south onto Marconi Drive and continue until you reach Robert E. Lee Boulevard and head east. Go north once you reach St. Bernard Avenue and continue until you find yourself back at Lakeshore Drive.
- Pontiff Playground , formerly known as Metairie playground, boasts an outstanding jogging path. This park is a short drive from downtown New Orleans. Enjoy this shady path while the kids play on the state of the art playground. Palm St., Metairie, LA 70001.
- Enjoy a healthy jog down Lafreniere Park’s well-maintained path. Looking for a level route? This is the path for you. Lafreniere Park, 3000 Downs Blvd., Metairie, LA 70003.
- Magazine Street has more to offer than just great shopping and good eats. Magazine Street can also be host to one of the best New Orleans running routes. Follow Magazine Street through the Garden District and turn around when halfway through the workout. Magazine Street is located in uptown New Orleans.
- For an exciting run, make a loop around the New Orleans French Quarter. Begin at the Aquarium and run through Woldenberg Park. Run parallel to N. Peters Street. Turn left onto Esplanade Avenue. Make another left onto Burgundy Street. Finally, turn left on Canal Street and continue until you reach the Aquarium.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …