The best rock songs of 2011 may not have been released yet, but as of the summer of 2011, there have already been a number of good ones. It's tough to narrow down the very best, as everyone has different opinions about what the best rock songs are and as there are so many different ones released each year. However, there are a few which are a lot more popular then others, which may qualify them, from a business standpoint, as the best rock songs of 2011. Check out the list below to see if you have heard any of these best rock songs of 2011.
- Foo Fighters "Rope." The Foo Fighters, who are best known for their lead singer David Grohl of Nirvana fame, are back at it, with the song "Rope." This is vintage hard alternative rock from the Foo Fighters, who managed to make this one of the best songs so far in 2011.
- The Strokes "Under the Cover of Darkness." The Strokes were one of the hottest rock bands around a few years ago and then quieted down while they toured and made some more music. However, they have come back with a vengeance with their newest album, producing one of the best rock songs of 2011 called "Under the Cover of Darkness."
- Cake "Long Time." Cake first made waves in the '90's with a few different albums that helped to define a poppy type of alternative rock music. They had faded over the past few years, occasionally showing up with a hit single here or there. However, their new environmentally conscious album has one of the best rock songs of 2011 on it called "Long Time."
- The Decemberists "Down By the Water." The Decemberists have been getting better and better as a rock band over the past few years, producing albums and touring on the festival circuit. But their newest album and hit song "Down By the Water" is definitely one of the best rock songs of 2011.
- TV On The Radio "Will Do." TV On The Radio was a big band a few years ago. Their album had four or five excellent songs that got radio play. However, they faded with a weak album and no one had really heard from them for a while. That is, until this year, when they burst back onto the scene with an excellent new record and the hit "Will Do," which is as good as any of the songs they have ever produced in the past.
- Lykke Li "I Follow Rivers." This song from Swedish alternative rocker Lykke Li is the one that will make everyone know her name in the future. Think of her as the Swedish Bjork.
- Sims "Burn It Down." The Minneapolis-based rapper had this song break in 2011 and is one of the best hip-hop songs of the last few years that no one really knows about. Think of this young man as the great Eminem before he was a huge star.
- Deerhunter "Desire Lines." This song is huge with the alternative crowd and is off Deerhunter's first album, the first of many from a group that hopes to have a promising future in the music business. It came out in 2010 but has really taken off in 2011.
- Mumford & Sons "White Blank Page." It's tough to narrow down the best Mumford & Sons song of 2011, as they have so many. However, this one seems to be more powerful than all the other ones off this most recent album, allowing it entry to this list.
- Lissie "In Sleep." This popular female rocker has the sound of Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks, and the guitar solo at the end of this song is one of the best that has been recorded in a great song in years. If her voice holds up, this young star has a bright future.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Meet Madeline Brewer, Netflix Princess
The Orange is the New Black and Hemlock Grove beauty discusses fitness and dating.
The 5 Types of Beer You Should Know
Get familiar with these basics, and you'll be ready to rule the craft-beer universe.