Best Shoes For Walking
The best shoes for walking are the ones that fit the contour of your foot, don't leave blisters and support you mile after mile without getting ripped up. Generally speaking, the best shoes for walking take into account the size and shape of your foot. You don't want shoes that allow your feet to swim inside or pinch your toes too much. Something in between is just the right shoe for walking.
- Saloman RX Travel Shoes: Like hiking boots, travel shoes are rugged, outdoorsy-looking and tend to come in orange, brown, olive drab and black. But unlike hiking boots, these shoes hit the top of your ankle and string with elastic laces that look cool and don't get in your way while walking.
- New Balance MR817 Motion Control Shoes: Half the point of getting shoes for walking is to get in shape or stay in shape. If your foot slips in and out while you walk, it defeats the whole purpose. Motion control shoes will help your feet stay in place in the shoe and keep them from sliding around.
- Spenco Arch-Orthotic Arch Support Shoes: Your foot might have too high of an arch or too low of an arch. Either way, your balance is thrown off if you don't have the right shoe or shoe insert. Get shoes for walking that allow for shoe inserts or are specifically designed for arch support.
- Red Wing Gables Comfort Shoes: Some shoes are specifically designed as comfort shoes. Whether they have more padding, are roomier to accommodate a wide bridge or have gel inserts, comfort shoes will keep your feet cushioned as you walk. But don't get too used to them. You'll have to take them off once you get inside.
- Rockport Eureka Casual Walking Shoes: If you're not a serious walker, but you like to take a stroll around the block, the best shoes for walking are a men's travel/casual walking shoe. These differ from a full-out travel shoe, as these are mostly leather or suede and can sometimes double for a work shoe. They're not necessarily as stylish, either, but they do the trick.
- Brooks Addiction Walker Athletic Shoes: The Brooks Addiction Walker Athletic shoes are all-purpose and great for walking around town. But the typical Nike/Reebok/Adidas shoes are usually just as good for walking as they are for playing basketball. So if you don't want to fork over $80 for a new pair of walking shoes, just wear the ones you've already got in your closet for hanging out with the guys on Saturday.
- Skechers Relaxed Fit Tie-less Walking Shoes: Skechers sells tie-free walking shoes that are great just to slip on and go. They're better for walking than running because your foot might slip out if you start running.
- Orthofeet Men's Mark Oxford Orthopedic Shoes: Better than shoes with arch supports or gel inserts are the orthopedic walking shoes. These shoes make sure your foot stays supported, comfortable and secure all at once. You won't even notice you're wearing orthopedic shoes. Or, they might feel so much better, you will.
- Nike Air Max Turbulence Running Shoes: Running shoes also double as walking shoes. They still have the right kind of tread and long enough laces to do the job. While these usually look like your typical sports shoe, they go with almost any outfit.
Skecher's Shape-Ups Toning Shoes: Skechers and a few other brands carry toning shoes that are designed to make your legs look like Arnold Shwarzneggar while you walk. Whether you believe that claim or not is your decision. Toning shoes are still some of the best shoes for walking.