Several variations are floating around for Torta de Aceite. Choose the one that best applies to your culinary needs. Tortas de aceite can be used in desserts or as an entrée accompaniment.
“Tortas de Aceite” means "cakes of oil" and the food originated in Andalucía, Spain. Their unexpected flavor recently has made this once popular 19th century cake or tortilla resurge in popularity.
The simple, basic ingredients are olive oil, flour, water and yeast with a sprinkling of salt or dusting of powered sugar. Sesame seeds and anise oil are also prevalent.
- 8 tortas, 6” diameter.
- 1 tbsp. dry active yeast
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 12 tbsp. warm water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- Options for toppings used as snack or dessert: sugar, fruit preserves, honey.
- Sesame seed and anise oil or ground anise seed is a commonly used batter ingredient.
- Add yeast and warm water together, let this set for 10 minutes.
- Mix in olive oil, flour and salt.
- Let this rise for 60 minutes after kneading.
- Hand mold the tortas and fry them in oil until golden.
Other renditions with anise and sesame seeds are considered an excellent Spanish crisp bread appetizer. There are both traditional and unique ways of preparing these.
Recipe variations consist of using 100% whole wheat flour and 20 to 25 percent authentic Spanish olive oil. Sesame and anise seeds or oil are kneaded into the batter before frying. The tortas are always made by hand, each molded into a distinctive hand-flattened cake. They are chemical and preservative-free and should always be prepared just before serving.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.