The best vintage engagement ring settings are exciting to discover and then present to your lady love. She will know and appreciate that the ring's vintage setting is very special, unusual and rare. "Vintage" refers to those settings from early in the 1900s, or earlier, or those settings that are at least 50 years old.
- It is extremely important to go to a reputable seller, such as an antique jewelry specialist or a reliable jeweler. That way you can be sure that you will get the value that you are paying for. Recommended dealers offer a high standard of customer service and a thirty-day money back guarantee. You can also find vintage engagement rings at estate sales, antique stores, pawn shops and other places. However, you must be very aware as to their reliability.
- Be sure to get a report in writing on the ring. This includes a complete description of condition, age, size, color, carat, cut, clarity and the ring's history. You will also need that report or appraisal to get insurance on the ring.
- Victorian antique engagement rings are from 1835 to 1900. These vintage settings are elegant and anywhere from simple to very intricate. They are normally set in yellow or rose gold.
- Edwardian engagement rings are from between 1900 and 1920. Usually in platinum, they feature lacy and filigree shapes and scrollwork. Rose-cut diamonds and sapphires were popular then.
- Art Deco engagement rings are from the 1920s and are again popular. They have more of a geometric design and allude to Native American, Asian and Egyptian cultures. They often have colorful gemstones as well as the more traditional platinum diamond-packed look.
- An engagement ring from the 1930s or 1940s often features a setting that is elaborately carved to make the diamond look larger. This can be a consideration if you have a budget to adhere to.
- Remember that older diamonds are not necessarily bright white. Yellow, green or slightly rose diamonds were also popular then.
A vintage engagement ring setting has charm and uniqueness, usually has better craftsmanship and quality and will be an heirloom that can be passed down through the generations.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.