Bill Gates is arguably one of the most well-known people in the world who isn’t an entertainment celebrity or politician, so when people starting spouting Bill Gates quotes, it’s worth paying attention to. People don’t even need to be all that familiar with technology in general to know who he is and why is important in American culture. When Bill Gates talks, people listen. Although after reading some of these quotes, you may wish people were listening closer.
- “640K ought to be enough for anybody.” This is an old Bill Gates quote. That, or he really hasn’t used a computer in quite some time.
- “Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.” Or, they’ll be running the country in one way or another. And if not the country directly, at least they'll be running the industries that run the country. Besides, nerds are pretty cool. Where else can you get a three-hour lecture on a topic you wouldn't give two seconds to think about?
- “Windows 2000 already contains features such as the human discipline component, where the PC can send an electric shock through the keyboard if the human does something that does not please Windows.” Don’t worry. Like some Microsoft features, this probably doesn’t work; probably being the operative word. If the system was going to electrocute you, it would have after done so after you closed that annoying clippy thing in Word anyway. However, just to be safe, maybe you should wear some gloves next time you use the keyboard. Never can be too careful.
- “Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning.” So that trip to Vatican City is cancelled then, right? For those keeping score at home, this is reason #587 why Bill Gates will never be running for public office. Or be doing any appearances in Microsoft ads anytime in the near future.
- “Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.” Wanna know why you never see Bill Gates do any Microsoft ads? This should go a long way to explaining it. True story: this was originally the slogan for Windows 7 when it was ready for public release (just kidding).
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Social-Media Problems Ello Solves
From privacy to nudity—why the Anti-Facebook's time has come.
Beer Brain: Sam Adams’ Kosmic Mother Funk
This private-reserve beer drinks like a fine port or brandy.