Billiard Racking Techniques
When you play pool, you need to know billiard racking techniques. Billiard racking techniques involve arranging the pool balls in a triangle or diamond shape. Usually, the ball in the center matches the name of the game. For instance, when you play 8-ball, you rack the 8 ball in the center of the triangle. Billiard racking techniques for 9-Ball involve placing the 9 ball in the center.
- Place the rack on the billiards table. Usually, there will be a marked spot on the table, known as the foot spot. The top tip of the triangle or diamond rack goes on the spot.
- Put the apex ball on the foot spot. The apex ball is simply the ball that goes on top during billiard racking.
- Position the other balls so that they are all in contact. Proper racking techniques state that the balls must be as close together as possible.
- Arrange the balls based on the type of game you are playing. Billiards racking techniques vary based on the game.
- Put the 8-ball in the third row, or middle of the triangle, when you play 8-ball. The 8-ball will be the first ball immediately underneath the apex ball.
- Arrange the other balls in the rack however you wish. There is no racking technique for the other balls, except that a striped ball must go in one lower corner of the triangle and a solid ball in the other corner.
- Place the 1-ball in the apex spot if you are playing 9-ball. The 9-ball must be in the center of the diamond shaped rack. You can arrange the other balls in any order.
- Put the black ball or 8-ball on the foot spot if you are playing Black Ball. The black ball will be in the center of the triangle rack with the other balls surrounding it in any order.