A good birria de res recipe is hard to beat. Birria is a Mexican stew and a birria de res implies that it is a beef stew. This meal is reserved for special occasions such as weddings, birthdays or New Years. It is mopped up with tortillas and garnished with limes, cilantro and onion.
To make this birria de res recipe, you will need:
- A dutch oven with a meat rack (trivet)
- Four lbs. of stewing beef with or without bones
- Eight dried chilies (mix and match guajillo, bola, ancho, New Mexico, etc.)
- Two tsp. white pepper
- One tsp. cinnamon
- One tsp. salt
- Three tbsp. vinegar
- Five cloves of crushed garlic
- Two onions chopped
- Two bay leaves
- Time. To make this birria de res recipe you will need to give yourself eight to twelve hours before you cook it to let the meat rub set in. Then you will need at least four hours to cook this traditional birria de res recipe.
- Rub. To make the rub, toast the chilies in the oven until they are a little burnt around the edges. The fragrance will let you know you are done. Crumble these in a pan and cover with water for 30 minutes. Pour in the vinegar and run this through a food processor to create a paste. Save half of the paste and refrigerate it. Combine the white pepper, cinnamon and salt. Rub this over the meat. Rub the other half of the paste you made made over the meat. Refrigerate for eight to twelve hours.
- Cook. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. This birria de res recipe is a slow cooker so start early. Fill your dutch oven three quarters full of water and add the garlic, onions, bay leaves and add the other half of your paste. Put the beef on the meat rack, cover and cook for about three and a half hours or until the meat falls apart.
- Finish. Place the meat in a serving bowl and shred or slice it. Make sure to remove the bones if there are any. Take the dutch oven out of the oven, remove the bay leaves and simmer it until about half the liquid is gone. When you are ready to serve the birria de res, pour the liquid over the meat.
- Serve. This birria de res recipe is versatile and some folks add boiled corn or potatoes to the meat before adding the liquid. It tastes perfect with corn tortillas, refried beans, cilantro and onion.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to End Awkward Handshakes
A short illustrated history of when to use what.
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...
The Modern Gentleman’s Guide to Casual Sex
Studies show your fling has an assumption about how things will go. Prove them wrong.