If you have a birthday coming up then you’ll want to know about birthday invitations make your own. Birthday invitations are really easy to make if you’re creative and have a few basic card making supplies on hand. Follow the below step-by-step instructions and you’ll be able to make unique and fun birthday invitations that your friends won’t forget.
To make birthday invitations you’ll need:
- Pre-made blank cards and matching envelopes
- Rubber stamp letters
- Ink pad
- Scrapbook paper
- Paper hole punch (optional)
- Ribbon (optional)
- Glue stick
- Computer and printer with ink, or permanent fine point markers
- Purchase materials. If you don’t have pre-made cards and scrapbooking materials at home, you can easily purchase them online or in the card making section of your local craft store. Choose the size, style and color of your materials based on your party’s theme. You’ll want to choose blank cards and envelopes, coordinating scrapbook paper for the cover of your invitations and plain scrapbook paper for the inside greeting and text of the invitations. For example, if you’re having a Mardi Gras themed birthday party, you could choose purple cards, scrapbook paper with a masquerade mask print for the cover of the invitation and plain green paper for the greeting and text.
- Prepare the cover. Cut out a piece of your scrapbook paper in any design or shape that you’d like and glue it to the front of your invitation using your glue stick. If you’re having a baseball themed party you could cut out a piece of scrapbook paper in the shape of a baseball. Scrapbook paper is available in a wide variety of colors and textures and can often be found with fun images and designs. If you prefer a more elegant birthday invitation, you could cut a square of scrapbook paper with a delicate pattern slightly smaller than the face of your invitation and glue it to the cover.
- Decorate the cover. Using rubber stamps and an ink pad, carefully stamp the cover of your invitation with the text you’d like to add. Make sure that your text is catchy or funny and relates to the theme of your party, so people know what the party is all about. Be careful to let each letter dry before inserting it into an envelope so it doesn’t smudge.
- Prepare the text on the inside of the invitation. In the word processing software on your computer, compose text indicating the date, time and location of your party. Make sure to include any special requests about when and how guests should RSVP and what they should bring or wear. Print your text onto a piece of coordinating scrapbook paper and glue the paper into the inside portion of your invitation. Decorate the inside of your invitation to your liking using stickers or other decorations. If you’d like, you can punch a hole through the right hand border of your invitation using a hole puncher and tie a piece of ribbon through the hole.
- Make the back of your invitation. A photo of the birthday boy or girl as a child or adult is always a fun back cover to an invitation. If you’d rather not use real photos, you could make a few color copies at your local copy shop and glue those to the back cover. If just the photo isn’t enough decoration, you can add stickers with funny sayings or cut a piece of scrapbook paper and glue it under the photo to look like a frame.
- Print your envelopes. You can print your invitees’ names and addresses on their invitations by hand in calligraphy with a marker, or type their names into your word processing program and print the envelopes on your printer. Make sure to decorate the outside of the envelope and add a festive stamp.
Making custom birthday invitations doesn’t have to be a chore. Purchase your materials today and get to work. You’ll probably be surprised by how much fun you’ll have decorating and designing your custom birthday invitations.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.