If you're not blessed with poetic penmanship, use these tips to help you find the perfect birthday quotes for your girlfriend. It happens once a year, every year—your girlfriend's birthday. Forgetting this pivotal day can be catastrophic. Your girlfriend's birthday is a great day to let her know how much she means to you and how special she is.
- "Life is a flower of which love is the honey." Victor Hugo Use the classics. Tennyson, Maugham, Wilde. There's a reason why these men's words have been used for hundreds of years. Take a leaf out of their books. Literally.
- “A thing of beauty is a joy forever.” Romantic Poets. Lord Byron, Percy Shelly and John Keats are known as the Romantic poets and you'll find hundreds of poems to quote from them. You can choose to quote the whole poem or just one line. Extra points for memorizing the poem and telling it to her whilst looking into her eyes.
- "How Do I Love Thee" Use the first sentence of Elizabeth Barrett Browning's famous poem "How Do I Love Thee" to start your birthday card to your girlfriend. Then proceed to list all the things you love about her in your own words.
- "My bounty is as deep as the sea, My love as deep; the more I give to thee, The more I have, for both are infinite." Shakespeare Shakespeare's sonnets 18, 116, 130 are all beautiful and appropriate to quote for your girlfriend's birthday. Shakespeare wrote more than a 150 sonnets. Chances are you'll find at least one sentence amongst them that you can use.
- "Maîtresse, embrasse-moi, baise-moi, serre-moi" Victor Hugo Try a foreign language. French, Italian and Spanish are known as the Romance languages for good reason. Using a foreign language in your birthday quotes for your girlfriend can give your expression of love an exotic and sophisticated feel.
- "Feliz cumpleaños, mi amor" "Happy birthday my darling" in Spanish. Learn her mother language. If your girlfriend has roots in a specific country, try learning how to say "Happy Birthday, sweetheart" in that country's language. Your lady will be impressed at your thoughtfulness and the effort you've gone to.
- "Era il giorno ch'al" Francesco Petrarca French or Italian poems. There are as many foreign language poems as there are English ones, but the foreign ones sound so much more intriguing. Try finding some famous poetry in French or Italian and quote them for your girlfriend. Some good poets to start with are French poet Guillaume Apollinaire and Italian poet Francesco Petrarca.
- "Gravity cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein If your girlfriend has a favorite actor or actress, like Audrey Hepburn or Ingrid Bergman, search for quotes by them. There are many poignant quotes from the 20th century that will be appropriate as birthday quotes for your girlfriend. Your girlfriend will appreciate that you know her so well. People who have great quotes about birthdays and love are Zsa Zsa Gabor, Albert Einstein, Oscar Wilde, Stephen Fry and Marilyn Monroe.
- "They say it’s your birthday. We’re gonna have a good time. I’m glad it’s your birthday. Happy birthday to you." The Beatles Use Music. The lyrics to songs are often like poetry put to music. Choose a line from her favorite song or by her favorite musician and use it as your birthday quote to her. Chances are she'll recognize it immediately and appreciate that you know her taste in music. There are a lot of songs about birthdays, so use one of these if you prefer to give your quote a festive feel. Of course Stevie Wonder's "Happy Birthday" is a classic choice. "Birthday" by The Beatles is also a good choice. If you're looking for a fun song to quote as a joke, try "Happy Birthday" by "Weird Al" Yankovic.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.