Noted for their beautiful tresses, blonde actresses make their mark not only for their acting ability but their hair. Singer Rod Stewart even made an album titled "Blondes Have More Fun" in 1978, perhaps alluding to one of the most famous blonds, Marilyn Monroe’s movie, “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.”
- Jean Harlow The phrase “blonde bombshell” was coined to describe Harlow’s light tresses. Howard Hughes’ publicist also invented the term “platinum blonde” for her. Her breakout movie was the Howard Hughes film “Hell’s Angels.” The American Film Institute voted this blonde actress one of the best movie stars of all time.
- Marlene Dietrich The German-born blonde actress moved to Hollywood on contract to Paramount Pictures and became a noted femme fatale in such movies like “Shanghai Express.” During the '60s and '70s she worked as a highly paid cabaret performer in major cities throughout the world. She was voted the ninth best movie female star of all-time by the American Film Institute.
- Marilyn Monroe Perhaps no movie star has been imitated as much as Marilyn Monroe. Stars like Madonna have copied her blonde hair and musical scores, hoping to cash in on her charisma and fame. Monroe led a tragic life, born to a schizophrenic mother and becoming mentally ill herself, she sought to gain happiness through the illusion of movies and her many romances. In 1999 the American Film Institute ranked her as the sixth greatest female star of all time.
- Kim Basinger Basinger is well known for her sultry and seductive role in the movie “9 ½ weeks,” but she has also won numerous awards for her work in “The Natural.” Blonde actress Basinger was once married to Alec Baldwin and is a serious animal rights activist.
- Reese Witherspoon Witherspoon’s breakout role was in a movie that would highlight her hair: “Legally Blonde.” She would later gain worldwide attention when she played June Carter Cash in “Walk the Line,” winning an Academy Award for her role.
- Gwyneth Paltrow Paltrow played Shakespeare’s love interest in “Shakespeare in Love,” winning an Academy Award for Best Actress. This blonde actress has dated Brad Pitt and Ben Affleck. She is married to lead singer, Chris Martin, of Coldplay.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.