As an inspirational singer, songwriter, and musician raised amongst poverty, Bob Marley's quotes had a lot of insight to offer. While growing up in the Trench Town section of Kingston Jamaica—known for it's poor conditions and for being the "Motown of Jamaica"—music became his savior. These quotes from Bob Marley make it clear that he gained a solid, singular, and humane outlook on life in his short 36 years on Earth.
- "I don't stand for the black man's side, I don't stand for the white man's side. I stand for God's side." Bob Marley asserts that racial categories have nothing to do with the Higher Power. By looking past the concept of race, Marley is able to see what is really important in his life—a strong relationship with God. Regardless of your religious or spiritual beliefs, this quote still speaks to anyone striving to be a good human being.
- "If you get down and quarrel everyday, you're saying prayers to the devil, I say." The idea that spreading negativity is equal to devil worship may sound extreme, but makes sense. The point Bob Marley is making is that pushing your energy in an evil direction, whether through violence or making others suffer, is carrying out the devil's agenda. The devil can simply be referred to as a symbol of hated, destruction, corruption, and ill intentions.
- "Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" Having your own point of view based on personal beliefs and wisdom gained from experience is the path to freedom according to this quote from Bob Marley. We all have the choice to believe our version of the truth, but blindly trusting everything we hear could make us a victim to it. The freeing of our minds can be viewed as allowing ourselves to grow and not remain stagnant and resistant to change.
- "Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live!" Bob Marley offers this intellectually dense quote that tackles several issues: stress, obstacles, and the importance of following your dreams. We all have things that we are passionate about and by getting caught up in the "hate, mischief and jealousy" that may come are way we can get distracted and dragged off our main course. By putting our energy into positive passions our dreams can rise beyond mere thoughts and become tangible realties.
- "Me only have one ambition, y'know. I only have one thing I really like to see happen. I like to see mankind live together—black, white, Chinese, everyone—that's all." Harmony is the central theme of this Bob Marley quote. Notice how he mentions the phrase "mankind" instead of "races" when referring to different cultural groups. His noble ambition to see every human coexist is a universal concept that we all can benefit from.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”