Bodybuilders are a strange bunch, there is no questioning that no matter if it comes to their physiques or bodybuilding quotes that have been phrased over the years. They willingly subject themselves to excruciating pain, eat plain and bland chicken breasts and baked potatoes, and take enough drugs to kill large mammals all in their quest to build freaky physiques. The things that come out of their mouths can often be as off the wall as their appearances. Here we’ll examine some quotes that are perfectly at home in the gym.
- "Pain is weakness leaving the body" – Unknown author. This makes for a good start to our list, as it outlines the most basic premise of bodybuilding. Once the muscles have been pounded and sore, they recovery stronger than and better than before. This quote has been motivating our fighting men in women during their boot camps at least the late 1960’s.
- "The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what happens" –Arnold Schwarzenegger. How true. Muscles won’t grow unless forced to, and the only way to accomplish that is to push them near, to, or past their limits.
- “Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight!" – Ronald Coleman. See above quote from Arnold. Muscles only understand force, and unless pushed to higher performance, are more than content to stay where they are.
- "When you are not training, remember, someone somewhere is training, and when you meet him he will win" – Ed Macauley. While Macauley was a basketball player, his words ring beyond true for any athlete. If you’re not pushing for higher performance, your competition is, and they will beat you when you meet them.
- “If I listened to my instincts, I’d be down at the pub chasing women, not under a 400 pound bar squatting”- Dorian Yates. The incomparable Dorian Yates gives perhaps the best reason to avoid what some term “instinctive training”. And nothing better sums up that when it comes to athletics, training, and life in general, mental toughness is the ultimate key to succeeding.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.