Want to learn about 5 best brands of rice used for Asian and Indian cuisine?
Rice is healthy and economical, according to the USDA Dietary Guidelines. Sharon Smalling, MPH, RD, LD, Clinical Dietitian Specialist at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center in Houston recommends that carbohydrates should make up 45-65 percent of total daily calories. When prepared, rice costs less than .10 cents per serving. A serving of rice along with a main dish and a vegetable provide a well-balanced meal.
Brands and types of rice differ for each dish it is made for. Sushi is made with short to medium grain rice, which tends to be sticky and hold together well. This type of rice is used in Asian dishes so it is easy to pick up and eat with chopsticks. Dishes like Red Beans and Rice, Paella, Jambalaya, and Rice Pilaf are made with long grain rice which is drier and does not stick together. Jasmine rice is popular in Asian dishes.
This list is made up of long-grain, medium-grain and short-grain rice. These are all healthy and tasty ways to get our daily servings of carbohydrates.
- Nishiki. Nishiki rice is a Japanese medium-grained rice. It is used most often in sushi and other Asian dishes. This type of rice is unique in the fact that it uses less water to prepare. The typical ratio is 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. This rice uses 1 ½ cups of rice to 2 cups of water. Nishiki brand rice is found in Asian markets and can also be purchased online.
- Koda Farms. Kukuho Rose rice is a medium-grain rice and a favorite brand made by Koda Farms. Kukuho in Japanese means “treasure to the country”. Koda Farms is located in California’s San Joaquin Valley. Rice can be purchased directly from the farm or from the company website.
- Golden Phoenix. Golden Phoenix is a brand of jasmine rice and is a product of Thailand. Jasmine rice is grown in Thailand and has a nutty flavor and aroma. This type of rice is used a lot in Indian and Thai cuisine. Available in grocery stores and online retailers.
- 3 Horses. 3 Horses is a brand of jasmine rice that is grown in Thailand and distributed by Golden Country Oriental Foods. It is available in grocery stores and at the company website.
- Tilda. A unique blend of basmati and wild rice with a nutty flavor and aroma.
Rice is nutritious and delicious when used in any type of recipe. From ethnic dishes to plain old rice and beans, rice is a pantry staple that can be purchased anywhere in the world.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …