Spice up breakfast by making homemade breakfast casseroles with hash browns. All things breakfast are combined together and baked to perfection. The combination of sausage, hash browns, eggs, onions, cheese, and salsa makes a delightfully simple one dish breakfast to serve at brunch, at the family breakfast table, or for an adventurous change of pace for dinner.
To make breakfast casseroles with hash browns, you will need:
- 1 pound ground sausage
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 ½ cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- 1 cup Bisquick
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (optional)
- Prepare the breakfast casserole ingredients. Peel and coarsely chop an onion. Measure out ¼ cup of onion and set aside. Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat lightly. Shred the cheddar cheese and set aside. Spread a coat of shortening, butter, or non stick spray on a 13 by 9 inch baking dish.
- Combine the sausage and onion in a large skillet. Cook for five minutes over a medium high heat, stirring frequently. Stir in the hash browns and cook until the sausage is free of pink spots and thoroughly cooked. Drain off the excess fat and place in a large bowl.
- Combine the remaining breakfast casserole ingredients. Place the shredded cheese, milk, Bisquick, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl and mix thoroughly. Pour the milk mixture into the sausage and hash brown mixture then mix well.
- Combine the breakfast casserole ingredients. Spoon the breakfast casserole mixture into the greased baking dish. Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil. Place the breakfast casserole with hash browns in the refrigerator for eight hours to chill.
- Bake the breakfast casserole with hash browns. Remove the breakfast casserole from the refrigerator. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the breakfast casserole with foil covering the baking dish for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F. After 45 minutes, remove the foil to uncover the breakfast casserole. Bake uncovered for an additional ten to fifteen minutes.
Tips and Warnings:
- When choosing the sausage for breakfast casserole with hash browns, select spicy, spicy hot or sage flavor for best results. Garnish the breakfast casserole with salsa and sour cream.
- Don’t assume the breakfast casserole with hash browns is done after the suggested cooking times.
- Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the very center of the baking dish. If the toothpick comes out clean with nothing stuck to it the breakfast casserole is done.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.