If you have a nice large family room, a covered patio, or a converted basement in your house, you might like to build your own ping pong table. It’s not hard to do and ping pong can provide hours of entertainment for family and friends.
You will need:
- Measuring tape
- 2” x 2” lumber pieces
- Two 4’ x 12’ sheets of ½” plywood
- Rotary saw
- Wood glue
- Wood screws – 2-1/2”
- Masking tape
- White Paint
- Green Paint
- Regulation Size. Ping pong tables are 9’ long by 5’ wide, made of plywood, and are 30” high. It is important to get a good grade of plywood so it is smooth and easier to paint.
- Build Your Frame. Begin your frame for your ping pong table by cutting two pieces of 2” x 2” x 9’ long. Cut two more that are each 4’8” long. Lay the long pieces parallel to each other on a flat surface about five feet apart. Lay the short pieces at the top and at the bottom between the long pieces. You will now have a rectangle that is 9’ long and 5’ wide. On the long pieces drill a guide hole through the top and bottom ends on the long pieces. Drill guide holes into the ends of the short pieces. Put the corners together with screws into the sides of the long pieces, and the ends of the short pieces.
- Build Your Table Top. Now it is time to cut the plywood sheets. You will need to cut two pieces 4’ wide and 5’ long. Then cut two more pieces, one 5’ long and 2’ wide, and the other 5’ long and 1’ wide. Put your two 4’ x 5’ pieces side by side leaving about a 1’ gap between them. Place the 5’ x 1’ piece in between the two pieces. Fasten them together and you have now made your 5’ x 9’ ping pong tabletop. Use the 5’ x 2’ piece to span the middle of the table after joining the three pieces together. Attach it with wood screws to the three joined pieces. After you counter sink the screws, fill in the holes with wood filler.
- Put the Frame and Table Top Together. Using your wood glue, wood screws, and clamps, attach the frame to the underside of the ping pong table top. Now all you need is legs.
- Cut the Table Legs and Attach. From your 2” x 2” x 9’ lumber, cut four legs each 29-1/2” long. At the inside edge of the frame on all four corners, attach a leg using screws.
- Put on the Finishing Touches. Fill in all the cracks in the ping pong table top and let dry. Sand to make it smooth. Using a medium green paint, paint the table top. After it dries, use masking tape to make a narrow border and paint it white. Add the net, paddles, and balls, and you are ready to play ping pong on your very own ping pong table.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …