If you want to learn how to build your own wind turbine, you will be taking your first step in trying to save our planet. For this to work for you, you have to have a wind speed of seven and ten miles per hour most of the time. If you do not have a breeze most of the time, you may want to look at getting (or making) solar panels.
- Work area
- Start conserving energy. The decision to build your own wind turbine is a excellent decision. However,the biggest problem to power conservation is the consumer’s inability to curb consumption. Turn off unneeded lights, use lower wattage when possible. Quit opening the ‘fidge door to “shop”.
- Learn the parts of a wind generator system. Motor/alternator, tail, blades, tower, and batteries. A clear understanding of each of these components will make building your own wind turbine the system much easier.
- The motor will be the most difficult item in your wind turbine to build. You may consider ordering one already built if you are not sure if you can build a motor.
- Construct blades. You can cheat here and purchase them from an RC plane shop. That is an inexpensive way to get them, and they will already have the correct pitch.
- Tail. the tail will be needed to keep the blades in the proper position in relation to the wind to collect maximum benefit from the wind and provide better useage of your wind turbine.
- Batteries. You will need a place to store the energy you are collecting from your wind turbine.
- Inverter. You will need to transform the power collected into a usable form from the wind turbine you have built for your home use. This is what an inverter does. It converts the power collected into an AC current.
- Purchase or make up blueprints to build your own wind turbine.