These California Senators are each great politicians with amazing achievements and strong political opinions. Each of these senators have brought new perspectives and knowledge to the role of Senator. If you are looking to understand some of the past and current California senators, then you should definitely look over this list.
- Barbara Boxer: This outstanding California Senator was the first female to chair the Environment and Public Works Committee. She also significantly managed to instate the first federal funding for afterschool programs. As a Democrat she holds progressive views, including a pro-stance on stem-cell research and marriage equality.
- Diane Feinstein: This is a current California Senator who was elected as senator in 1992 and was re-elected in 1994, 2000, and 2006. As a Democrat she has shown some support for pro-gay issues and worked to pass the California Desert Protection Act. In 2001, she was presented with the Woodrow Wilson Award.
- Alan Cranston: This member of the Democratic Party served as California senator after bein elected in 1968. In 1984 he unsuccessfully ran for President of the United States, although he serve as senate majority whip of the United States from 1987-1991. In an inspirational move, he dedicated his retirement to the international abolition of nuclear weapons.
- Pete Wilson: This California Senator served from 1983 to 1991 as a member of the Republican Party. He left office early after winning the state's gubernatorial race in 1990. As Senator he pushed for the early initiation for a national ballistic defense system. He also pushed for "tough on crime efforts" and signed a law giving 25 years to life for repeat offenders.
- Sheridan Downey: This California Senator served a historically significant term, from 1939 to 1950, during World War II. He pushed for a post-war United Nations, federal pay raises, and increased veterans' benefits. He also supported a military draft, although opposed the requisition of industries during the war.