Those looking to enjoy some time in the great outdoors can do so at one of many camping sites in NC state parks. With dozens of state parks in North Carolina to choose from, there is a little bit of something for everyone.
- Carolina Beach State Park Located south of Wilmington, Carolina Beach State Park features 83 individual campsites suitable for up to six people and two group campsites that can hold 25 to 35 people each. Each site features a picnic table and grill, plus use of the public water and restroom facilities. Carolina Beach State Park: 1010 State Park Rd. Carolina Beach, NC 28428.
- Falls Lake State Recreation Area As one of the more popular camping sites in NC state parks, Falls Lake State Recreation Area includes a 12,000-acre lake and more than double that area in woodlands. The park, which is north of Raleigh and east of Durham, features over 300 campsites split between three areas. Falls Lake State Recreation Area: 13304 Creedmoor Rd. Wake Forest, NC 27587.
- Goose Creek State Park Highlighted by Spanish moss, Goose Creek State Park is one of several primitive camping areas in NC state parks. The small location in Beaufort County includes twelve individual campsites and one group campsite. Goose Creek State Park: 2190 Camp Leach Rd. Washington, NC 27889.
- Hammocks Beach State Park Accessible only by sea, Hammocks Beach State Park is located right on the banks of the Atlantic coast. The park includes seventeen primitive campsites on Bear Island that are open nearly around the year. Hammocks Beach State Park: 1572 Hammocks Beach Rd. Swansboro, NC 28584.
- Hanging Rock State Park Just outside of Danbury, the Hanging Rock NC state park is graced with natural rock that creates quiet forests and flowing waterfalls. Campers can rent one of ten modern cabins or one of over 80 outdoor campsites. Hanging Rock State Park: 1790 Hanging Rock Park Rd. Danbury, NC 27016.
- Lake Waccamaw State Park Home to rare plants and endangered animals, Lake Waccamaw State Park features sandy shorelines and lush wilderness areas. The North Carolina state park can host a number of individual and large groups. Lake Waccamaw State Park: 1866 State Park Dr. Lake Waccamaw, NC 28450.
- Morrow Mountain State Park Housed in Stanly County, Morrow Mountain State Park features steep and rugged hills, which are the remnants of the Uwharrie Mountains. Reservations are strongly recommended when staying at one of 94 campsites. Morrow Mountain State Park: 49104 Morrow Mountain Rd. Albemarle, NC 28001.
- Raven Rock State Park Located 45 minutes from Fayetteville, Raven Rock State Park is a quaint camping site in one NC state park with just sixteen campsites. Many of the sites are accessible by canoe with each featuring a vault toilet and fire ring. Raven Rock State Park: 3009 Raven Rock Rd. Lillington, NC 27546.
- Pilot Mountain State Park Suitable for tent camping, Pilot Mountain State Park can hold 49 groups of individual campers and two groups of campers in this camping site in a North Carolina state park. The location is conveniently seated just twenty miles north of Winston-Salem. Pilot Mountain State Park: 1792 Pilot Knob Park Rd. Pinnacle, NC 27043.
- Stone Mountain State Park Featuring a 600-foot granite dome and white tailed deer, Stone Mountain State Park is not only a national landmark but a popular camping site in the NC state parks system. Campers at the nearly 100 sites can enjoy fishing and hiking in the outdoors at this park. Stone Mountain State Park: 3042 Frank Parkway, Roaring Gap, NC 28668.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)