Do you have some beautiful heirloom tomatoes on hand and need a simple Caprese salad recipe? If you love fresh tomatoes and mozzarella, then this delicious classic Italian salad is for you. Keep reading to learn a Caprese salad recipe that is simple to make, requires basic ingredients, and is ready to serve in less than five minutes.
To make Caprese salad you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound ball of freshly made mozzarella
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, torn into bite size pieces
- Kosher sea salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Large serrated knife
- Paper towel
- Large serving platter or plate
- Slice the tomatoes and cheese. Rinse the tomatoes well and pat them dry with a paper towel. Slice each of the tomatoes and the mozzarella ball into 1/4 inch thick slices using a large serrated knife.
- Arrange the Caprese salad. Arrange the Caprese salad into layers on a large serving platter. Start with a layer of mozzarella slices, then fan few pieces of basil on top of the mozzarella. Last, fan a layer of tomatoes on top of the fresh basil and mozzarella.
- Dress the Salad. Dress the Caprese Salad with a hearty drizzle of good quality extra-virgin olive oil. Sprinkle the whole salad with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy. Serve the Caprese salad at room temperature. Refrigerate any leftovers and eat them as soon as possible. If the Caprese salad sits too long the juice from the tomatoes will make the mozzarella soggy.