Find out how easy it is to make your favorite Mexican food at home by trying this simple carnitas recipe. Carnitas are made from spicy pork that is simmered for hours until it is tender. The salsa flavored chunks of pork are placed on a warm fresh corn tortilla and eaten with a combination refried beans, seasoned lettuce, sliced avocados, sour cream, or freshly grated cheese.
To make Carnitas, you will need:
- 4 pounds pork shoulder
- 1 quart beef broth
- 2 cups chunky salsa (medium or hot)
- 2 cups salsa fresca
- 1 to 2 dozen corn tortilla
- Prepare the pork for carnitas. Remove the pork shoulder from the packaging, rinse in clear water, and place on a cutting board. Slice off as much fat as possible from the pork. Cut the pork into several large chunks for cooking.
- Cook the pork for carnitas. Combine the pork chunks, broth, and salsa in a large pot with a tight lid. Bring the mixture to a boil over a high heat. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the pork for three to four hours until the pork can be easily shredded with a fork. Salt to taste. Transfer the meat to a roasting pan using a spoon with holes to drain the sauce. Use a fork to break the carnitas pork into small chunks.
- Bake the pork for carnitas. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the carnitas pork in the oven and roast for 15 to 20 minutes until the pork is brown and crispy.
- Heat the tortillas for carnitas. Tortillas can be easily heated by placing them on a hot skillet, (no oil or grease is necessary), for a five seconds and turning once for five seconds. To heat tortillas in the microwave, place the tortillas on a paper towel and heat on high for six to eight seconds for each tortilla.
- Make carnitas soft tacos. Place a generous amount of carnitas in the center of a warm tortilla and garnish with your favorite sides. Serve hot.