If you're at risk for carotid artery blockage then you'll want to learn about carotid artery blockage symptoms so you can be aware of what to look for. Carotid artery disease keeps oxygen from reaching the brain and this can cause a stroke.
There are many at-risk factors that can influence whether or not you may get this form of disease.
- Being overweight or obese
- Not getting enough exercise
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure.
The carotid artery blockage symptoms can be similar to a stroke and that stands to reason since this disease causes strokes. Here are a few of the carotid artery blockage symptoms to be aware of. If you experience any of these symptoms it is imperative to get to a hospital immediately.
- Blurry vision. Loss of eyesight or even blurry vision in one eye can be a sign of this disease. This is one of the symptoms of what is called a mini-stroke.
- Transient ischemic attacks. These are commonly known as TIA's and are signs that you may be going to have a stroke. These are commonly known as mini-strokes and are an important warning for carotid artery blockage.
- Trouble swallowing. Having trouble swallowing is a problem commonly associated with this disease. If you factor in some of the other symptoms as well, there is a good chance that this is a blockage of the carotid artery.
- Weakness on one side. This symptom includes paralysis of the arm, face, leg; any part of the body on one side. This is almost always a sign of a stroke, which is caused by carotid artery blockage. This is a symptom that also can be seen as numbness on one side or even a tingling sensation.
- Confusion, dizziness or fainting. These are all signs of a stroke that is caused by a blockage in the carotid artery. Any time these symptoms are present, much like with the others, it is important to see someone immediately.
Carotid artery blockage can be treated with lifestyle changes and certain pharmaceuticals such as an anticoagulant. The best prevention is to change your lifestyle before you have a problem.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.