Chicken And Dumplings Quick And Easy
Chicken and dumplings are a great comfort food with southern flair, so why not learn how to make chicken and dumplings quick and easy so that you can have them any time you want? While chicken and dumplings may sound hard to make, they're really not if you know what you're doing and this recipe will have you making them in no time at all. Here is your chicken and dumplings recipe quick and easy to do.
What you'll need:
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 lb. boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup of self-rising flour
- 3 tbsp. shortening
- 2/3 cup of buttermilk
- Large sauce pan
- Sauté the chicken. In a large saucepan, melt your butter and add chicken. Sautee for approximately ten minutes or until the chicken is browned on the outside and done on the inside. You can test the chicken with a thermometer or by making a slice near the bone and looking for pinkness. Do not over cook your chicken since it will cook more once you add your dumplings but do make sure you do not see any pink meat around the bone or in fleshy areas.
- Add broth. Add your broth to the sauté pan along with your chicken. You can add vegetables if that is your preference. Mixed vegetables such as carrots and peas are a good choice but many people enjoy their chicken and dumplings without.
- Make dumplings. In a bowl, mix together your flour and shortening and once you have that done add your buttermilk. Mix until you get a course dough without lumps. The dough should be firm and holds together. If your dough is too dry you can add a couple of tablespoons of buttermilk until you get the desired consistency.
- Add it all together. Bring your chicken and other ingredients to a boil over medium high heat and drop round spoonfuls of your dumpling mixture on top without letting the dumplings touch each other. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot and let it simmer for ten to twelve minutes.
Now you have a chicken and dumplings recipe quick and easy to make and still tastes delicious; not to mention that it's homemade. Your family and friends will love being able to enjoy this tasty dish.