Chicken Biryani Recipe
If you love Indian and Pakistani food, you will love this chicken biryani recipe. Biryani can be made many including vegetarian, lamb, beef and chicken. Traditional biryani is made with lamb, as lamb is served for honored guests. Each type of biryani has its own flavor and its own spices and condiments. Once you master how to cook chicken biryani, you will want to serve it very often.
Chicken Biryani Recipe
Chicken biryani can be made several ways. This recipe is made with vegetables including potatoes, carrots, peppers and peas. Some recipes will just have rice and spices with the chicken. This recipe is a typical Indian recipe that will be filling, delicious and very spicy. If you do not like spicy food, then reduce the spices before cooking.
- Chicken (2.2 lbs.) cut into 8 pieces
- 1/3 cup ghee or oil
- 1 tsp. saffron (available at most spice stores)
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- 1 tbsp. oil for the rice
- 1 tsp. salt for the rice
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp. minced ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp. garam masala powder (available online or at most Indian spice stores)
- 1-1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 tbsp. salt
- 2 large tomatoes, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 whole cardamom cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon (2 inches)
- 2 to 3 whole cloves
- 2 medium sized potatoes, cubed
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 2 medium sized carrots, cubed
- 1 cup peas
- 1 large red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 large green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 large handful coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 boiled eggs
- Rinse the rice several times and place enough warm water to cover the rice by two inches. Let the rice set for at least 30 minutes.
- Take a small glass and add in the saffron strands. Add two tablespoons of hot water and let it set.
- Take a large stock pot and add six cups of water, one teaspoon salt and one tablespoon of oil. Let the water come to a boil.
- Drain the rice that has been soaking and add it to the boiling water. Cook the rice for six minutes, remove it from the boiling water and set aside. Make sure not to overcook the rice.
- Add the ghee to a large skillet. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onions. Cook the onions until golden brown and then add in ginger and garlic.
- Stir the onion mixture for a few minutes. Add the chicken pieces and fry to a light golden brown (around six minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, 1-1/2 cups of water and all the spices. Cook the chicken for around 40 minutes on low heat or until done.
- While the chicken is cooking, fry the potatoes in a few tablespoons of oil until golden brown. Add the carrots in the same pot and cook for two minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the peppers to the same pot and cook for one minute. Take all the veggies and add to the chicken mixture along with the peas.
- Prepare a large pot to make the chicken biryani. Put half the rice at the bottom of the pot..
- Put the chicken mixture on top of the rice and stir. Add the remaining rice on top.
- Sprinkle the saffron water all over the top of the rice. Moisten a kitchen towel and place over the top of the pan and then secure the lid on top.
- Place the chicken biryani on a low flame and cook for fifteen minutes until most of the moisture is absorbed. Invert the chicken biryani on a large serving dish.
- Cut the boiled eggs in half and distribute around the plate. Garnish the top of the chicken biryani with the chopped coriander.