Every soul should have a chicken burrito recipe in their arsenal for those times you find yourself far from the comforts of fabulous Mexican cuisine. This recipe does not reflect the warm kitchen from a family restaurant where they make their own tortillas and beans though. Do not fool yourself. This is survival food for the traveler that finds himself far from home. This is a simple chicken burrito recipe that assumes you do not roast whole chickens or broil chili peppers for sauces.
To make this chicken burrito recipe, you will need:
- Whole, pre-cooked chicken from a grocery store
- Flour tortillas
- Package of Spanish box rice
- A can of refried beans or whole beans (black or pinto)
- Chopped fresh cilantro, onion, tomato, lettuce or other preferred toppings
- Sour cream
- Rice. Follow the instructions on your box of Spanish rice. If the box says you can make the rice more special by adding canned tomatoes, you should totally go for it.
- Beans. A chicken burrito recipe needs beans, so heat them up on the stove. Some people like refried beans and some like whole beans. If you go canned refried beans, you might want to add a tablespoon of olive oil or vegetable oil when you heat up your beans. While not rendered pork lard, the oil makes the canned beans taste a lot more homey.
- Chicken. To make this simple chicken burrito recipe, you must get a whole, cooked chicken and shred the meat. If you like white meat, shred the breast; for brown, shred the legs and thighs.
- Tortillas. The tortillas in this chicken burrito recipe are purchased at a grocery store, so feel free to use any method you like to warm them up. You can heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat and fry them one at a time. Flip them when they bubble up. You can also microwave your tortillas. Wrap them in paper towels, sprinkle a couple tablespoons of water on them and nuke four tortillas for about a minute. You can even steam them. Get your steamer going, wrap them in paper towels and toss them in the basket. Turn off the heat and use them after a couple of minutes of steam or leave them for up to twenty mintes.
- Produce. This is a versatile chicken burrito recipe, so use whatever produce you desire. At bare minimum you should have chopped onion and cilantro.
- Assemble. This is up to you, but an easy way to make your burritos is to grab a tortilla and smear it with beans. Add some rice and the chicken. Pour some salsa on the meat if you wish. If you like cheese, sprinkle some on. Add your produce and smear sour cream across it. You can carefully create a burrito by folding one third of it upwards, tucking in the sides and rolling it up to seal in the ingredients or you can simply roll it up any way you please and shove it straight into gaping maw.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.