Does the thought of making chocolate cake recipes from scratch make you break out into a cold sweat? If so, you’re not alone. For many people, especially those who don’t cook very often, just the thought of trying to make a homemade chocolate cake might be intimidating. But it is possible to make a simple, delicious chocolate cake from scratch. All it will take is just a little time and a few basic ingredients.
To make a chocolate cake from scratch, you will need:
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 2 cups of sugar
- 3/4 cup of cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons of vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1 cup of water
- Preheat your over to 350°F.
- Combine the dry ingredients (the all-purpose flour, baking soda, sugar, cocoa and alt) in a mixing bowl. Lightly stir the mixture together.
- In a separate cup, combine the milk and the vinegar. Stir together, and then add to the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Run a tap until the water is hot. Add one cup of this hot water to the mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (the eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla) to the bowl. Stir the ingredients together until your chocolate cake batter is smooth.
- Pour the chocolate cake batter into a 9-inch cake pan. Then place it in the oven and let it bake for about 45 minutes. How will you know when your chocolate cake is done? Just stick a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is ready.
- After removing it from the oven, let your homemade chocolate cake cool for at least 30 minutes (if you can wait that long) and then serve. While this cake is great all on its own, store-bought chocolate frosting could make it even better.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.