Choose The Right Windsurf Boards
Whenever you are ready to purchase windsurf boards, you will want to take some time to make sure that you choose the right windsurf boards. You will want to make sure that you look at all of the different styles of windsurf boards, though so that you purchase the right one for you.
- Take a windsurfing lesson before attempting to windsurf alone. The day of your first lesson should be one with mild conditions. Taking a lesson in such conditions will help you determine whether you really want to invest in all of the gear that you will need. It will also give you a chance to get all of your questions answered. Remember, using windsurf boards can be very difficult and frustrating whenever you are first getting started.
- Think about purchasing flat windsurf boards or course windsurf boards. These are the right windsurf boards for beginners. This is because these windsurf boards are very stable, thus they are easier to sail in light winds.
- Decide on what type of windsurfing you are going to be doing. If you are a beginner, you should start with the standard windsurf boards. You should know that there are course boards (for racing courses), slalom boards (for challenging courses that require a lot of control), speed boards (for zipping across the water at a high speed) and wave boards (for riding the waves). This is why you will want to make sure that you choose the right windsurf boards.
- Determine whether you want a lot of rocker or just a little. This is the part of the windsurf boards that is curved from the nose to the tail. A board with a lot of rocker will turn more easily but with less rocker you will go faster.
- Decide whether you want a hard or a soft sail. Hard sails offer better power and speed while soft sails are easier to control. Some sails incorporate both.
- Visit a windsurf specialty shop. This should be a shop that offers lessons and rentals, too. Tell the salesperson what you want, what your intentions are and the price range that you wish to be in. Most shops offer packages that include everything that you will need in order to get started. This is the best way to purchase your first windsurf boards and also avoid the confusion that mismatched parts will cause.
While it is important to choose the right windsurf boards, it is also important to make sure that you have the right accessories to go with your windsurf boards. Some of the things that you will need include a life jacket, foot straps and the right fin. A salesperson can help you find the right things, but you should still keep your receipts just in case you need to return or exchange something later.