Christian Sex Advice
If you are a follower of Christ confused about what role sex should play in your life, read on for Christian sex advice relevant and important for you. We only have to read the rich innuendos and erotic symbolism of the Song of Solomon to know that the Lord created sex not only for the purpose of bearing children but also to provide a means of intense spiritual union between two people through physical pleasure. Nevertheless, there are few guidelines in the Bible to direct the sexual life of a sanctified married couple; the following recommendations should help clarify how you can live a sexual but faith-based life with your partner.
- Keep your focus on God. The basis of a healthy spiritual union through sex depends on a strong foundation in the Lord. Build your relationship first with Him by joining other married couples in Bible study, praying together and attending church regularly. God blesses the actions of this kind of intimate partnership.
- Meet your partner’s needs. The Bible states that a husband and wife should satisfy each other’s reasonable desires. Your bodies are no longer individual entities, but now also belong to the other. As such, don’t be afraid to communicate your needs. Also, learn how to best please your partner.
- Be romantic. Song of Solomon’s principal message is the importance of romance in the sexual intimacy of a blessed marriage. We can learn from the romantic gestures of Solomon and his wife. Throughout the entire book, from courtship through to marriage, Solomon showers his wife with compliments to express his affection. Making your partner feel unendingly loved strengthens the sexual bond between you two.
- Know what’s acceptable. There are some sexual practices that the Lord strictly prohibits--for example, the Bible tells us that adultery (sex with someone other than your spouse), fornication (premarital sex), bestiality (intercourse with non-humans) and incest (sex with family members) are sinful. These are in place not to restrict our options, but to protect our physical and emotional wellbeing.
- Decide on your personal limits. There are no direct comments in the Bible regarding specific sexual practices such as oral sex, masturbation and using sex toys. It’s up to you and your partner to decide what you are comfortable with based on your personal preferences and your faith. One thing the Bible is clear on is that we should never compromise our own or our partner’s beliefs.