Christmas Cooking For Kids
When there are children in your family, knowing some Christmas cooking for kids is essential. Kids are notorious for being picky eaters, and they often don't appreciate the gourmet food that is served around the holidays. These recipes will be sure to please the little diners at your table this coming Christmas.
Jolly Ole Saint Nick Ham
To make the Jolly Ole Saint Nick Ham, you will need:
- 5 lb bone-in, fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup of apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup packed, light brown mustard
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- Large roasting pan
- Roasting rack
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together apricot preserves and Dijon mustard.
- Using shallow cuts, make "criss cross" cuts over the entire ham.
- Spread the preserves mixture over the entire ham.
- On top of the preserves mixture, gently pat the brown sugar over the ham.
- In another mixing bowl, mix together water and juice.
- Pour water/juice mixture in bottom of roasting pan.
- Place the ham on top of the roasting rack in the roasting pan.
- Bake for one hour to one and a half hours, or until ham is completely heated.
Christmas Spirit Eggnog
To make Christmas spirit eggnog, you will need:
- 4 cups milk
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 cups light cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan over very low heat, mix cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, cloves and milk.
- For about five minutes, bring milk to a very slow boil.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar.
- Slowly mix milk mixture into the eggs until blended well.
- Pour the egg/milk mixture into saucepan.
- Over medium-low heat, stir mixture continuously for about three minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- Remove cloves from mixture.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- After mixture has cooled for about one and a half hours, stir in two teaspoons vanilla, cream and nutmeg.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
To make holiday punch, you will need:
- 20 ounces of unsweetened, frozen strawberries
- 46 ounces pineapple juice
- Lime sherbet
- Orange slices
- Large punch bowl
- Puree strawberries in blender.
- In punch bowl, combine pureed strawberries with pineapple juice.
- Garnish surface of the liquid with orange slices.
- When serving, top each serving with lime sherbet.