If you're looknig to add more seafood to your diet, try out these cod fish recipes. This tasty and versatile fish is used in traditional and fusion recipes around the world and is especially common in Spanish, Latina and Portuguese cuisine. From Spanish style cod fish baked in a "sofrito" sauce, to breaded and fried cod fish, cod is tasty, combines well with a variety of sauces, and can be prepared fried, baked and broiled. Learn the basics, and then get creative with your recipes.
Bacalao con Sofrito
Garlic, tomato, onions and peppers top salt-cod filets in this traditional and easy to prepare Spanish dish, Bacalao con Sofrito.
Ingredients for Bacalao con Sofrito (Serves 2)
- 2 medium salt-cod filets (approximately 1lb)
- 1 can tomatoe sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 2 pieces of diced garlic
- 1 tsp Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- t tablespoon dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small potatoes, chunked
- Oven safe frying pan with lid
- Soak the salt-cod for 12 hours until fully reconstituted. Change the water every 4 hours.
- Prepare your sofrito. Add oil to a skillet on medium heat, add garlic and onions.
- Brown garlic and onions. Add in potatoes, green peppers and diced tomatoes.
- Mix in tomato sauce and white wine. Cook until potatoes are tender.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add in cod fish fillets.
- Juice a lemon. Sprinkle fish with it.
- Cover and bake in a 300 F oven until potatoes are tender and fish is flaky and white, approximately 15 minutes.
Codfish and chips
If baked fish just isn't for you, try fried Cod fish and chips served with malt vinegar, classic pub food that even your girl will appreciate.
Ingredients for Codfish and chips (serves 2)
- 2 large fresh cod-fish filets
- 2 large white potatoes
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- malt vinegar
- 3 cups Vegetable Oil
- Set up your breading area. Combine floor, salt, pepper and garlic powder on one plate, whisked egg in a wide-mouthed bowl, and bread crumbs on another plate.
- Thoroughly wash and then slice your potatoes. Sprinkle them with salt
- Put some vegetable oil on to heat on medium high heat in a shallow skillet for your codfish. Fill a larger, deeper pan halfway with oil for your chips (french fries).
- While your oil is heating bread your filets. Put fillets in the flour, garlic, salt and pepper mixture to soak up any excess moisture.
- Dip filets in the egg mixture. Roll them in the bread crumbs.
- Put aside. Add potatoes to the deeper pan to fry.
- Put filets in the shallow pan. Fry two to four minutes per side, and be careful not to get your oil too hot. If it starts to smell burnt, remove from heat briefly and turn the burner down.
- Remove potatoes and codfish from oil with a spatula. Drain oil from potatoes and codfish on plates lined with paper towels.
- Serve with a small bowl of malt vinegar and plenty of salt.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …