Collar Bone Piercing Care
Collar bone piercing care is extremely important. Your new piercing looks cool, but if it gets infected it can be painful and lead to serious illness or scarring. A collar bone piercing, or any type of surface piercing needs to be cleaned and cared for daily until the skin heals around the jewelry. Once healed, constant vigilance is required as the skin can break open and increase your chances of infection down the road.
Stock up on:
- Saline Solution
- Cotton Balls
Clean your piercing daily using a cotton ball soaked in saline solution. Pour the saline solution onto a clean cotton ball and lightly press it against the piercing for a few minutes each day. Gently twist the jewelry to keep the skin from sticking and to allow the saline solution to get into the space between your skin and the jewelry. Remove any crusted blood or discharge from around the piercing. Wipe dry with a clean cotton ball. Repeat each morning and evening.
Additionally, adhere to the following:
- Don't touch the piercing more than absolutely necessary, and wash your hands first.
- Don't take the jewelry out before the piercing has healed (4-6 weeks).
- Do not apply anti-bacterial soaps or ointments to the piercing.
- Keep sheets and blankets meticulously clean and don't rest your piercing on a dirty surface.
- Stay hydrated and healthy so that your piercing heals as quickly as possible.
- See a piercing professional and a doctor if you notice redness, swelling, pus or a funky odor coming from the piercing.